An Elusive cut of meat has been spotted in Northern Vermont

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks great GMC

Thanks peachey, I had high hopes when I saw these and they didn't let me down.

looks great, got to say i'v been a meat cutter for 35 years i only worked for 3 different companies and never seen a tri tip in any of our stores. i was starting to think the tt was like bigfoot.

Or Unicorns Jim. We never see them here either. I got lucky shopping on this day. Hopefully they decide to maintain their stock. Appreciate the like also Jim.

Chris

Looks great Chris! They were extinct in Ohio until recently. Hey stated showing up here during the wierd COVID meat shortages and now they are around in herds ongoing.

I don't see them in my part of SC either. I'm 10 miles outside of Charlotte NC and I've seen only a few and those were at a store that's gone out of business. I worked in a steakhouse that shared a meat room with a small grocery store/butcher shop once back in Arkansas, and our meat cutter (this was in the 1990's) that had been an old country butcher for 40 years taught me a lot - how to break down both a shoulder and a round and the sirloin but that was a lot of beers ago and not a skill I kept. Shortloins and ribs came as packer primals but we cut roasts and sold a heaping ton of ground sirloin from the shoulders and rounds, as well as all of our roasts etc and steaks from the sirloins. I almost wish my life hadn't diverged from that path as I actually enjoyed the year I worked with him. These are the part between the round and the bottom of the sirloin if I'm not mistaken. I have never cooked one. He called them California tri tip roasts and sold them high.

I would not cry at $6.99/lb on the east coast. i have been getting them for $5.99/lb at restaurant depot here in LI, NY. This is has turned into my favorite cut of beef ever.

Bear..please PM me your address, when I get them again I want to send/deliver you a couple so you can do your magic and write up on them. please! - Cliff

I can see the headline now GMC has been detained for the investigation for the consumption of an endangered TT....lol

On a serious note.... I was at a work function tonight trying to stomach down a $80 A la carte rib eye (SV, torched seared and served on a 800 degree granite stone) and I would take that TT 100 times to Sunday!!!

Nice work!

Last edited:
Our local Publix has been stocking TT’s for a while now, but they are pricey. So we usually just stick with brisket. I can get a Prime brisket for half the price. But that being said, yours sure looks tasty!
Al

Looks mighty tasty. Congrats on the successful capture of not only 1 but 3 of the elusive trip tip.
Jim

Very nice Chris, glad to see you finally got your hands on a Tri-tip. Looks delicious too!!

I'm able to find them in PA with a little leg work. A butcher I go to can order a case and is considerably cheaper than the supermarkets. I just checked the Wegman's app. They want $14.49/lb!!! Yeah they could keep that. I wouldn't be upset paying $6.99/lb here or in VT.

My local Sams' carries them readily available, but they're the ones vac sealed in marinade.

Looks pretty good to me. See them in my area all the time but I have never cooked one myself.

Thanks Brett, you should really do something about that. They are as good as members advertised on here.

Nice score!
Hannafords is the only grocery store in the northeast I've ever seen carry tri-tip.

Thank you Norman. This was the first grocer I've seen that carries them w/o being packaged in some marinate. Price Chopper carries the marinated ones.

Chris

Looks Great, Chris!!
You did a Great Job!
Like.
Those things worked their way from West to East, but somehow must have done an End Run around PA in order to get to Vermont!!!

Bear

Must be they took the Northern Route thru Canada to get here. Thanks for the like and kind words appreciate them Bear.

Very nice Chris, glad to see you finally got your hands on a Tri-tip. Looks delicious too!!

I'm able to find them in PA with a little leg work. A butcher I go to can order a case and is considerably cheaper than the supermarkets. I just checked the Wegman's app. They want $14.49/lb!!! Yeah they could keep that. I wouldn't be upset paying $6.99/lb here or in VT.

My local Sams' carries them readily available, but they're the ones vac sealed in marinade.

Ouch 14.99/lb - I don't think so. I starting to think I got a steal of a deal on these. Appreciate the compliment xray.

Chris

Chris the story teller!
Looks good bud!

Thanks Justin, and for the like. It wasn't a very exciting set of photos so I had to spruce it up somehow.

Looks great Chris! They were extinct in Ohio until recently. Hey stated showing up here during the wierd COVID meat shortages and now they are around in herds ongoing.

Thanks Jeff for the compliment and like. I'm thinking they must have just gone thru their mating season. I hope they stick around and aren't just here for a vacation away from the west coast fires and heat.

Chris

I don't see them in my part of SC either. I'm 10 miles outside of Charlotte NC and I've seen only a few and those were at a store that's gone out of business. I worked in a steakhouse that shared a meat room with a small grocery store/butcher shop once back in Arkansas, and our meat cutter (this was in the 1990's) that had been an old country butcher for 40 years taught me a lot - how to break down both a shoulder and a round and the sirloin but that was a lot of beers ago and not a skill I kept. Shortloins and ribs came as packer primals but we cut roasts and sold a heaping ton of ground sirloin from the shoulders and rounds, as well as all of our roasts etc and steaks from the sirloins. I almost wish my life hadn't diverged from that path as I actually enjoyed the year I worked with him. These are the part between the round and the bottom of the sirloin if I'm not mistaken. I have never cooked one. He called them California tri tip roasts and sold them high.

That's a valuable skill to know, and can save you some money in the long run.

I would not cry at $6.99/lb on the east coast. i have been getting them for $5.99/lb at restaurant depot here in LI, NY. This is has turned into my favorite cut of beef ever.

Bear..please PM me your address, when I get them again I want to send/deliver you a couple so you can do your magic and write up on them. please! - Cliff

It's not that I'm complaining about the price, but it's depressing to see what we east coasters pay for certain things compared to the rest of the country.

Chris

Real butchers around here never considered them a sale able piece of meat until a dozen years ago.
Guess where all of them went?
Yep, part of the 99¢/# ground beef.

Yikes!!! I'm not sure our butchers even know what they are.

They are common in California. I can buy them pretty much every time I go to Safeway.

I only wish that were true here.

Chris

I can see the headline now GMC has been detained for the investigation for the consumption of an endangered TT....lol

On a serious note.... I was at a work function tonight trying to stomach down a $80 A la carte rib eye (SV, torched seared and served on a 800 degree granite stone) and I would take that TT 100 times to Sunday!!!

Nice work!

Appreciate that Civil and for the like. Man I hope my ugly mug doesn't show up on Americas most wanted.

Our local Publix has been stocking TT’s for a while now, but they are pricey. So we usually just stick with brisket. I can get a Prime brisket for half the price. But that being said, yours sure looks tasty!
Al

Thank you very much Al. Brisket here is even higher - roughly 9.00/lb so they're purchased few and far between. Appreciate the like also.

Chris

• Haha
Reactions: civilsmoker
Looks mighty tasty. Congrats on the successful capture of not only 1 but 3 of the elusive trip tip.
Jim

Appreciate that J and for the like. I got my limit for the week, but I may try to poach another one of two this weekend.

Chris

Reactions: JLeonard
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky