AMNPS seems to be burning way too fast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

danbury

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 16, 2008
Illinois
This is my 3rd smoke on a masterbuilt electric. As well, using the AMNPS tray with sawdust. I filled the tray about half full today with sawdust and only went up within 1/4 inch of the top of the tray/dividers. I lit one end and made double sure that only the one spot was lit. With-in approx. one and a half hours, sawdust completely done. Sawdust bought from AMAZN.
Picture is how I have the tray set up. Temp on smoker was set at 240. Suggestions?

20190408_131301.jpg

Sometimes, when I use my tube and also have heat in the firebox, my tube (contents) will combust. When they combust, they burn up a lot faster.

My set up is entirely different from yours, but perhaps your dust is igniting?

It could also be too much air flow. That sometimes effects burn time.

It very well could be. I know by looking at the exhaust that the smoke starts off wispy and then it's a pretty good amount coming out of there and then there is none about an hour or so later. Not sure how to prevent it from igniting. I did take the chip tube out and made a tin foil flap over the opening, but the amount of air that can get in has to be slight. Maybe I will put the tube back in next time and see if closing it off helps.

Just tinker with location. I know when my smokestack doesn’t show smoke that my tube is on fire. That’s just from experience. Sometimes my tube will combust even with no heat, just air flow. If it’s real windy out, I close some of the vent space. Main thing is just remain patient, and fiddle with it until you find your smoker’s sweet spot.

Thanks... It may very well be the air flow that's causing it to combust. I know it's not smoldering in an hour and a half, so it has to be catching. Was really trying to avoid making a mod for this thing. I don't do much if any cold smoking any more and was trying to avoid extra things around my smoker.

Thanks... It may very well be the air flow that's causing it to combust. I know it's not smoldering in an hour and a half, so it has to be catching. Was really trying to avoid making a mod for this thing. I don't do much if any cold smoking any more and was trying to avoid extra things around my smoker.
I totally understand. I don’t like modifying things when I want to keep it simple. I had my tubes for at least a year (bought it for my weber) before I realized how well they work in a Lang firebox. When I tried/struggled with the weber application, I ended up just giving up.

Well the ribs got a bit of smoke as it is. At this point I don't think putting more dust in the tray is going to add anything. Meat has reached it's temp now I think where it won't take on any more smoke. I'm still getting use to this electric smoker. I'm an old UDS user but we sold our house a couple years ago and making a transition to a townhome soon. Meanwhile, apartment rules say no charcoal, so sadly I had to give up my UDS after many many years of good smokes!

Well the ribs got a bit of smoke as it is. At this point I don't think putting more dust in the tray is going to add anything. Meat has reached it's temp now I think where it won't take on any more smoke. I'm still getting use to this electric smoker. I'm an old UDS user but we sold our house a couple years ago and making a transition to a townhome soon. Meanwhile, apartment rules say no charcoal, so sadly I had to give up my UDS after many many years of good smokes!
Ah, reminds me of my Georgia apartment living days!! No charcoal grills allowed, don’t know that I could handle that anymore!

using the AMNPS tray with sawdust........ Temp on smoker was set at 240.

I think this might be your problem. dust seems to burn up fast at temperatures higher than 160*...
Most members high temp. smoking with dust in the AMNPS tray are using an external mail box mod. to keep the temps. down around the dust and piping the smoke into the cooking chamber.

Yea.. here it's electric grills only or propane but you can only use those small camp bottles. I'm really chancing the neighbors with this smoker and trying to keep the smoke light. If they ever gripe at me... man... I will be one sad individual.

I think this might be your problem. dust seems to burn up fast at temperatures higher than 160*...

I see you are from Louisiana? I'm originally from Cameron parish. Man.. I miss all that good sausage from there!! I use to make it up here in Illinois where I am now, but sadly I don't have my little smoke house any more.
I may very well have to make that mod if I can't solve this or at least try to move the tray up higher if possible. Sure hate to have to build one of those things.

I am with indaswamp indaswamp on the high temps and also possibly the tray also resting on the element shield. You might consider course grinding some pellets instead of using dust. Other members are using that successfully in high heat. I am big believer that people are quite tolerant as long as you are respectful. If all else fails, bribe them with food or drink! Best of luck!

Thanks all for the replies. Gives me places to pay more attention to. I may just end up making that mod in the long run.

I make boudin a bit different than you do. Use to be a little store when I was growing up that made it. I got the recipe from them when they closed. Not near as labor intensive as yours, but good enough for me. Sadly, where I live, there are no hog farmers close by and what ones they do have don't butcher, they are commercial hog farms. Where I live now compared to where I'm from is a world apart.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky