AMNPS question - Need help!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pi guy

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 28, 2013
SE Michigan
I really like my AMNPS, I've had it since Christmas. I've only used it a few times, and every time I have the same problem. It tends to burn for an hour to 2 max, then just peters out. Currently I have it in my MES, with the wood chip tray removed to bring air in, the top vent open to allow airflow, and I even have the door propped open maybe 1/4". But yet it just burned out, about 1/2 way down the first line of the maze.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

I had the same problem with that. The tube burns great so I used it instead and used the channel one with dust in mailbox for cold smoke. I'm sure someone can help.

Reactions: pi guy
Two things come to mind for me.

1.) Have you tried microwaving the unseen humidity out of the wood pellets yet? Do so by putting in microwave for 1 min 20sec. Pull out mix around and set outside the microwave, dont leave it in there! THEN do another 1 min 20sec and mix around again and go pour into the tray. This will zap the humidity from the pellets and has a strong chance of solving your problem.

2.) Are you using an MES30? Many have reported having trouble using the AMNPS tray inside an MES30. If they can't get it to work they often switch to making and using a mailbox mod and then life is good for them.

Oh one final thing. 100% Cherry pellets simply don't ever wanna stay lit. This is a known quirk of cherry wood. But if you mix it and make a blend with 50% cherry or less and another wood then the other wood should keep the cherry going.

Let me know what you can and I'm sure we can get u fixed up :)

I can confirm drying pellets in the microwave works great. I go one step further and put them into a colander first, and shake the dust out. Some brands are 'dustier' than others.

Also, make sure you use a propane blowtorch to light it and get a good inch of pellets smoldering red hot before gently blowing out the flame!

Reactions: 3DSmoke
Two things come to mind for me.

1.) Have you tried microwaving the unseen humidity out of the wood pellets yet? Do so by putting in microwave for 1 min 20sec. Pull out mix around and set outside the microwave, dont leave it in there! THEN do another 1 min 20sec and mix around again and go pour into the tray. This will zap the humidity from the pellets and has a strong chance of solving your problem.

2.) Are you using an MES30? Many have reported having trouble using the AMNPS tray inside an MES30. If they can't get it to work they often switch to making and using a mailbox mod and then life is good for them.

Oh one final thing. 100% Cherry pellets simply don't ever wanna stay lit. This is a known quirk of cherry wood. But if you mix it and make a blend with 50% cherry or less and another wood then the other wood should keep the cherry going.

Let me know what you can and I'm sure we can get u fixed up :)

Thanks for the detailed reply. I am going to try the microwave method the next time I use it for sure! I was using apple pellets today, haven't tried cherry yet with the AMNPS.

Something really interesting though. After lighting and relighting a few times over the last 4 hours while doing cheese, I finally pulled out my batch of cheese, and still had half a tray of pellets left. I wanted to snuff it out, so I put the chip tray back in the bottom of the smoker, closed the top vent and closed and latched the front door, figuring it would rob the pellets of oxygen and burn out. I went about doing whatever, and went back out to see if I could remove the AMNPS yet, only to find it rolling smoke like crazy inside the closed up MES. Everything happening backwards, LOL!

• Haha
Reactions: tallbm
give the microwave a try 2 minutes helps

I’m sure you know this but don’t put metal anything in the nuke box. And I agree this is the way to go for anytime you use the tube or tray!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky