AMNPS "Burn time"

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

retread

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Aug 9, 2009
Methuen, MA
Please note that this is NOT a complaint!

I have been really grateful for the recent posts about people using the AMNPS.  I have seen comments from several people indicating that they got burn times which were significantly less than the 10 - 11 hours I had seen earlier.  I have been getting around 6 hours and have been wondering if I was doing something wrong.

I use an MES40, exhaust vent fully open, chip loader withdrawn ~ 1/2 way, chip drawer withdrawn 1 1/2 inches, and no water bath. 

I am very pleased with the AMNPS, I have definitely experienced TBS, and Todd is EXTREMELY helpful.  I am just reassured that some other peoples experience mirrors my own. 

Todd (or anyone else), with the setup I have described, do you have any suggestions for increasing the burn time? 

yeahthat.gif
  Keeping the rows completely full makes all the difference.  To avoid row jump over, I try to mound a tad in the center of the row, making sure there's no pellets near the top of the row divider that could possibly slip over the "fence" so speak, and ignite the next row, prematurely.  (Man, I hate that when it happens).  Also keep in mind that not all pellets are created equal and some have faster burn rates. 

yeahthat.gif
  Keeping the rows completely full makes all the difference.  To avoid row jump over, I try to mound a tad in the center of the row, making sure there's no pellets near the top of the row divider that could possibly slip over the "fence" so speak, and ignite the next row, prematurely.  (Man, I hate that when it happens).  Also keep in mind that not all pellets are created equal and some have faster burn rates. 

Yea your right on with the burn rate. Todd's perfect mix burns real slow. I'm about halfway through a full load at 7 1/2 hours. This could be a record!

yeahthat.gif
So far I've used nothing but Hickory from Todd.

Is it possible that you are getting too much draft?

That would make it burn faster than expected.

Smoker sitting where it catches a constant breeze, blowing into chip loader opening?

You might try having the chip loader barely pulled out at all.... if the AMNPS goes out then relight and pull the chip loader out maybe 1/2 an inch more...... wait and see if it stays lit or dies again.

Lather rinse repeat moving in or out until you get to the point that it will remain smoking reliably.

Measure / mark the chip loader so you can reset it to the sweet spot.

You may want to try his perfect mix. I just got over 14 hours on one load, but I was cold smoking too. It seems to burn way slower than his other pellets that I have tried.

I have found that when I hot smoke using my amnz-p the pellets do burn some what fatser than when I cold smoke. I have easily gotten 10 plus hours from a load of Traeger Mesquite pellets when cold smoking and lit from 1 end only.

Rich

I'm doing my first cold smoke with the amnps and on 1 row of cherry I've gotten 4 hours so far. I'm pleased with this fine product, and hope to get similar results during hot smoking.

Hope I'm not hijacking here, but I have a similar question. I just used my AMNPS for the first time today, followed all the suggestions here, but it burned through the whole thing in under two hours. Started off perfect (TBS) but about a half hour in, the smoke got thick and I started seeing ten degree temp spikes. Burned through like a wild fire. Any thoughts on what I did wrong?

Full three rows ( no line jumping noted)- sample bag of pellets that came with the AMNPS
Started by using a torch and kept it burning per the recommendations here.
Chip Loader open about an inch
Chip Tray open maybe 3/4"
Vent open full with 3" elbow exhaust
Dry pan
Running my MES 30 set at 225

I closed up the loader and chip tray almost completely when I realized I was two thirds through my pellets. Didn't slow it down and the tray was done and hour later. I did notice some of the pellets were charcoal at the end. Maybe from the point I closed it down? Any insights would be helpful. Thanks.

I'm not a MES user so I'll leave that aspect for those more knowledgeable in that arena.  One thing to keep in mind is that when using the AMNS or AMNPS in a hot smoker of any variety, we've noticed the burn rate of the pellets is much faster.  When I was doing initial tests in my Big Block Propane smoker, the AMNPS virtually went up in smoke, almost like a flash.  In later tests I ended up having to put a metal shield  under the AMNPS tray to reflect some of the heat away from the tray.  It definitely helped.  Be advised, each type of smoker has it's own effect on the AMNPS.  Cold smoking (no heat applied) is a piece of cake.  The AMNPS/AMNS as I understand was originally designed for the cold smoking environment.  Being a bunch of tinkerer's we're making it work in the hot environment.  The other guys will now jump in and tell you the secret squirrel stuff to put you on the path to the thin blue smoke we all desire, almost to an obsession.

Ok, MES users, help this guy out........

I can only tell of my experiences:

I use an MES 40.

I have never had to open the drawer or pull my chip dumper out.

I have never had my AMNPS burn any way other than the normal maze path (hot or cold), taking 9 to 12 hours to burn up.

I spend a lot of time getting mine lit real good, so I don't have problems with it going out.

I keep my pellets & dust in air tight plastic juice jugs, so they stay dry, however lately I had a couple of smokes where the pellets burned slower than I wanted, so I might try nuking them for a minute or two first.

I don't know what could cause your AMNPS to burn up like yours did in your MES 30.

Maybe Todd can help you on this one---He is our resident Amazing Genius.

Maybe since you have a good exhaust, you shouldn't open your drawer, or pull your dumper out at all.

Bear

Last edited:
I am assuming you are smoking at temps above 200°....Correct?

Burn rates for the AMNPs are right around 11-12 hours during "Cold Smoking".

If you add heat, you speed up the burning process, and the additional draft draws the smoke out at a faster rate.

To slow things down a little, you can push in the chip loader a little.  Go slow, and see what happens.

You should be able to adjust the intake and your AMNPS should burn longer

Todd

I am assuming you are smoking at temps above 200°....Correct?

Burn rates for the AMNPs are right around 11-12 hours during "Cold Smoking".

If you add heat, you speed up the burning process, and the additional draft draws the smoke out at a faster rate.

To slow things down a little, you can push in the chip loader a little.  Go slow, and see what happens.

You should be able to adjust the intake and your AMNPS should burn longer

Todd
Yep, 1 smoke at 225 (ribs) and another at 240-250 (pulled pork).  Thanks, Todd and I will start playing with intake and leave exhaust wide open.  6 hours is much better than what I had before, but I'm looking for long enough so that I can make an overnight smoke with full smoke all night.

Thanks guys. And thanks for letting me ride the coattails of this inquiry.  I'll keep the drawer and feeder closed up completely next time and see how it goes. Gotta say, before the firestorm, that was some of the sweetest smoke ever, and the 10lbs of shoulder I had in there turned out great in the end. Need to order up some more pellets now...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky