AmesPhos Ratio???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinidahoan

Original poster
Apr 12, 2021
I’m looking at trying an AmesPhos injection on brisket at the restaurant I work for. We’re not a bbq restaurant, we’re a bar and grill with a bbq heavy menu if that makes any sense. Anyhow, Cooking for the day isn’t an option for us, really the only way we can make this all work is to batch cook and reheat. We’re trying to be able to cook our brisket, rest it, cool it and then slice it and portion. So I’m hoping to retain some moisture, color, fresh taste, but I can’t find where anyone is saying how much AmesPhos to liquid they’re using, and I’m not really sure how to calculate such and such percentage of finished weight…lol.

Here you go...0.3% to 0.5%...JJ

Reactions: SmokinEdge
For a 15# brisket, convert to grams, 454 grams per pound, 454x15= 6810 grams meat weight. Multiply by 0.4% looks like this:
6810x 0.004= 27.24g of phosphate.

Weight of the meat X .004 = Amphos weight. Just keep all th same weight,Kilograms, gram, or ounces, and pounds...JJ

I’m looking at trying an AmesPhos injection on brisket at the restaurant I work for. We’re not a bbq restaurant, we’re a bar and grill with a bbq heavy menu if that makes any sense. Anyhow, Cooking for the day isn’t an option for us, really the only way we can make this all work is to batch cook and reheat. We’re trying to be able to cook our brisket, rest it, cool it and then slice it and portion. So I’m hoping to retain some moisture, color, fresh taste, but I can’t find where anyone is saying how much AmesPhos to liquid they’re using, and I’m not really sure how to calculate such and such percentage of finished weight…lol.
If I’m cooking 10-12 briskets all ranging from 12-16 pounds would I get decent results if I were to run the formula for 14.5 pounds and and multiply the batch of injection solution for however many briskets I’m cooking? I’m still unclear as to the amount of liquid to dissolve the phosphate in so the dilution is correct.

If you figure you will add 5% liquid injection to the brisket, 454 x 0.05 = ~23 cc's of liquid per pound... Since you will be adding 0.4% Amesphos per pound, 454 x 0.004 = 1.8 grams of Amesphos per 23 cc's of liquid....
Now... The USDA says, "0.4% STPP per # of meat is max allowable"... and we don't know the % of STPP in the Amesphos, (it has other stuff in it) it is best to treat the Amesphos as having 100% STPP in it so you DO NOT EXCEED the max allowable STPP in the meat...
Mix the injection liquid as noted above... Weigh each brisket and inject 23 cc's per pound of meat and keep records so you don't get a violation, if they should come in and check... AND be able to explain all of this crap....
To mix in the Amesphos correctly, you must dissolve it in clear water and mix until totally dissolved... then you can add other stuff...
Below is the order to add stuff to your injection liquid so it will dissolve properly...... mix thoroughly between each addition...

Phosphate additions..
Mix into the liquid...
1. phosphates and dissolve... 0.4% STPP....
2. sugars, proteins and dissolve...
3. salt and dissolve....
4. cure#1 and dissolve....
5. accelerators (sodium erythorbate) and dissolve
6. starches and carrageenan and mix thoroughly...

This is considered a food safety concern when you start adding stuff to meats etc... It's no different than a sausage manufacturer having to explain how much of what he/she added to the meat when making a sausage..

Commercial users that have to comply with regulations regarding "stuff" put in their products, have "developed methods" of "introduction" that have been approved by the USDA...
Did you think they just added stuff and the USDA didn't monitor what or how much they added ??

Joe Ames jr. and I have had many discussions.... Did you think I was making this crap up ??? I agree I am not an expert but I don't make this crap up....

I worked in a meat processing plant that made sausage, bacon and hams etc, including Black Forest hams..

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky