Amesphos question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Ph’s aside they are all basically the same and do not readily mix with salts in powder form. This is what I use.
View attachment 514754
Mixing and usage instructions do vary., and makes it confusing to me. The B&P you use calls for 6 ounces per gallon. Kosmo's Moisture Magic calls for: Injecting: Mix 1/8 cup of Kosmo’s Moisture Magic (BBQ Phosphate) to 1 cup of distilled water. (1 oz product to 12.5 lb. of meat). I have not looked at amounts of Butcher's BBQ or other folks selling phosphates.

I like the 0.3% to 0.5% range that AmesPhos recommends as it's easier for me to dial in the amount a little closer.

Reactions: zwiller
Mixing and usage instructions do vary., and makes it confusing to me. The B&P you use calls for 6 ounces per gallon. Kosmo's Moisture Magic calls for: Injecting: Mix 1/8 cup of Kosmo’s Moisture Magic (BBQ Phosphate) to 1 cup of distilled water. (1 oz product to 12.5 lb. of meat). I have not looked at amounts of Butcher's BBQ or other folks selling phosphates.

I like the 0.3% to 0.5% range that AmesPhos recommends as it's easier for me to dial in the amount a little closer.
Marinade is 2oz. Per 25 pounds meat. Same as your product.

Reactions: thirdeye
Ph’s aside they are all basically the same and do not readily mix with salts in powder form.
Agreed.
The buffering action and pH increase offered by phosphates only really matters when using acidic ingredients in a sausage like vinegar, pickled jalapenos...etc....
I learned about it when formulating the pineapple sausage.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Slightly OT. The carrot fiber looks impressive to me and something I want to try. Any of you tried it?

Mustard powder makes a lot of sense, but never heard that before. Back onto STPP and pH. Would you still use STPP when making a fermented sausage?

Mustard powder makes a lot of sense, but never heard that before. Back onto STPP and pH. Would you still use STPP when making a fermented sausage?
Emphatic No.....
Reason is because it's use is opposite of the objective-whcih is to dry meat, not retain moisture. The phosphates will make it harder for the salami to lose water which is not what you want when dry curing.

Reactions: zwiller and chopsaw
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky