• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Amesphos question

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 1, 2019
Ph’s aside they are all basically the same and do not readily mix with salts in powder form. This is what I use.
View attachment 514754
Mixing and usage instructions do vary., and makes it confusing to me. The B&P you use calls for 6 ounces per gallon. Kosmo's Moisture Magic calls for: Injecting: Mix 1/8 cup of Kosmo’s Moisture Magic (BBQ Phosphate) to 1 cup of distilled water. (1 oz product to 12.5 lb. of meat). I have not looked at amounts of Butcher's BBQ or other folks selling phosphates.

I like the 0.3% to 0.5% range that AmesPhos recommends as it's easier for me to dial in the amount a little closer.

SmokinEdge

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jan 18, 2020
Mixing and usage instructions do vary., and makes it confusing to me. The B&P you use calls for 6 ounces per gallon. Kosmo's Moisture Magic calls for: Injecting: Mix 1/8 cup of Kosmo’s Moisture Magic (BBQ Phosphate) to 1 cup of distilled water. (1 oz product to 12.5 lb. of meat). I have not looked at amounts of Butcher's BBQ or other folks selling phosphates.

I like the 0.3% to 0.5% range that AmesPhos recommends as it's easier for me to dial in the amount a little closer.
Marinade is 2oz. Per 25 pounds meat. Same as your product.

indaswamp

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
Ph’s aside they are all basically the same and do not readily mix with salts in powder form.
Agreed.
The buffering action and pH increase offered by phosphates only really matters when using acidic ingredients in a sausage like vinegar, pickled jalapenos...etc....
I learned about it when formulating the pineapple sausage.

zwiller

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Nov 16, 2016
Slightly OT. The carrot fiber looks impressive to me and something I want to try. Any of you tried it?

indaswamp

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
Slightly OT. The carrot fiber looks impressive to me and something I want to try. Any of you tried it?
It works. I've used it once, but I find not necessary if using phosphates.
Another overlooked binder is mustard powder. I use it in some of my sausage formulations.

zwiller

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Nov 16, 2016
Mustard powder makes a lot of sense, but never heard that before. Back onto STPP and pH. Would you still use STPP when making a fermented sausage?

indaswamp

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
Mustard powder makes a lot of sense, but never heard that before. Back onto STPP and pH. Would you still use STPP when making a fermented sausage?
Emphatic No.....
Reason is because it's use is opposite of the objective-whcih is to dry meat, not retain moisture. The phosphates will make it harder for the salami to lose water which is not what you want when dry curing.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.