Amazen tube or tray for gas grill

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Get a cylinder shot glass and slide it in the tube and a wooden skewer behind it to hold it there on the back side so the flat bottom glass is up front against the pellets you need! Shorten the tube from the inside. Yes it is A-maze-n!
Hi, what is a cylinder shot glass? Is this literally a glass material shot glass for drinking? I think I'm going to order a tube instead of using the Maze on my gas grill. What width glass would I need?

dr k dr k 's photo says it all on the first page. See the skewer thru the tube? Take a 1 oz shot glass open end facing into the tube and slide it in down to the skewer. Instantly you have a smaller fill of pellets for a shorter cook.

Reactions: dr k and bothanspy
Key to the tube is using a butane torch to get it lit properly i.e. hold it on the pellets for 40 sec or so. Then let it stabilize for 7-10 minutes (sometime it needs to be torched a second time) before relocating to the grill.
Got it. From the photo,I couldn't tell if the shot glass was glass or of it was some kind of grilling term. I didn't want a shot glass to explode in my grill,lol.

Got it. From the photo,I couldn't tell if the shot glass was glass or of it was some kind of grilling term. I didn't want a shot glass to explode in my grill,lol.
Yes it's a glass shot glass that fits in the tube like a piston but isn't tight. I did replace the wooden horizontal skewer with a vertical space saving pin made out of wire so it can't get knocked or fall out. The round Amnts is 2" in diameter. The glass is fine so far since nothing drips on it and the bottom is really thick. A foil ball would work but the heavy glass slides out the ash and unsticks itself after cooling. Menards had these refillable butane torches for $3.00 that stores inside the tube and has a kickstand , on lock switch and bottle opener.
20200713_135912.jpg

Reactions: bothanspy
I use a standard Weber smoke box (you can do almost the same thing with chips in aluminum foil), but I supplement it with an AMNPS tray that I put down in the grease trap. I put it in the trap because if you put the tube or tray up in the grate area, it is way too hot up there and the pellets in the AMNPS tend to burn rather than smoulder.

Remember that there is a LOT more air going through most grills than what goes through most smokers, so you need to generate a lot more smoke to get the same effect.

Here is the thread I started where I showed how I use the AMNPS in my Weber Genesis:

Rotisserie Smoked Chicken - Using All My Toys At Once
Wow! Amazen Weber mod! I'm going to try and put the tube in the grease tray!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky