Alternatives for Mustard as a base for a rub on ribs?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
My understanding is that the typical peanut oil is refined and has no effect on someone with peanut allergies.

My son as a severe peanut allergy and his allergist says no to peanut oil.

Not worth his life to try it.

My understanding is that the typical peanut oil is refined and has no effect on someone with peanut allergies.

My son as a severe peanut allergy and his allergist says no to peanut oil.

Not worth his life to try it.

I meant nothing by my response to the O.P. I was just answering the question.... I totally understand some folks have severe allergies ! Hoping no one took offense as that's not what was intended by any means !

I meant nothing by my response to the O.P. I was just answering the question.... I totally understand some folks have severe allergies ! Hoping no one took offense as that's not what was intended by any means !

Nah man, just talkin.

I have also heard of mixing some vinegar with mayo to make it easier to spread and the vinegar helps to break down the connective tissues bringing the rub into the meat. Never tried it though....

Smoke ON!

-Jason

I use mustard with pulled pork, mostly because I really like to goop on the dry rub and it all just falls off without the mustard.  Ribs are thin though, your dry rub should not be thick.  I do a heavy dusting with my own variation of BRITU (best ribs in the universe, google it if you're not familiar) rub then flip to do a lite dusting of the bone side.  Anything that falls off the top side on the flip lands on the next, yet to be seasoned, rib.

I've used Apple Butter before
At what Temp smoker? While delicious and an effective glue, like Honey, Apple Butter is primarily Fructose and will burn at smoker temps much over 230°F...JJ

Reactions: bdskelly
I like to use Parkay squeezable margarine sometimes.  Usually I don't use anything at all, and I'll never use mustard.  Even if you can't really taste it, my brain knows it was on there and will invent the taste.

I rinse all of my meats and pat dry. I use EVOO on beef, mayo or butter on chicken and mustard on pork. I think you could use any of them interchangably. As far as mustard is concerned, My wife really does not like mustard at all and she does not detect any mustard flavor at all after the meat is coked. Good luck with whatever you choose. Please let us know how your experiments turn out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky