alright guys I need your help! hunting problems( rifle Ruger American)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
So right now is the last week of Pa rifle season for deer, I just came out of the mountain extremely frustrated! I shot at a deer not once but twice and still missed. week ago happened to me again, came down out of the mountain and shot my rifle in again and it was shooting on target at 65 yards( that's the longer distance i can get out of my yard). what do you think it could be? Don't get me wrong, I'm not a pro shooter but easily out to 100 yards I can put it in a 12 in target( 100 yards is about the farthest I can shoot where I'm hunt, too thick, and reason I say 12 in is that's the idea kill zone for a adult size deer), so to be missing at 65yards not once or twice but three different times on two different occasions, I'm finding it hard to believe!

background:
rifle is a Ruger American, .308 cal,
scope is a Nikon 2.5X10-50MM BDC
ammo: federal 150 grain

I also bow hunt and can put arrows on target at 45yards, so 65 yards should be a breeze for a rifle. Scope is torqued down to specs, with Loctite on threads so they don't come loose.
any suggestions or experiences like this would be great to here! I'll also post on here some pictures of the couple last cooks I have done just didn't post them
I'm not saying you did anything wrong but back where I'm coming from (Bosnia) and war thing, we used to hunt with RPG... I know it's extreme but no chance to miss... just sayin'

I'm not saying you did anything wrong but back where I'm coming from (Bosnia) and war thing, we used to hunt with RPG... I know it's extreme but no chance to miss... just sayin'

probably not gonna be much meat left hunting deer with an RPG, not to mention how pissed the neighbors would be

Reactions: dernektambura
You didn't mention which grade Nikon scope in your post. If it's the Buckmaster 1 or 2 or Pro staff model that is most likely your problem. They are known to lose their zero big time, if it's a Monarch you should be good they are great scopes. The first two I mentioned I wouldn't use as an anchor they are way too unreliable.

Did you clean your barrel after you sighted your rifle in? If so that could be your problem.

If you didn't follow these steps.
Clean your barrel with a good Lead and copper remover like Tetra. Use a (bronze) bore brush not a copper brush. Clean it toughly until your patches come out without zero green on them, then add a few drops of oil to a patch and pass it through you barrel a few times.
After it's cleaned shoot 5 to 10 bullets through it before you start sighting it in.

It could be a combo of a fouled barrel along with a rushed or jerky trigger pull.
Get a clear sight picture and slowly squeeze, squeeze until you shot surprises you that way you're not flinching before the shot and jerking the gun off target.

My guess is you have developed a flinch which is messing you up, it happens to the best of us.
Do the squeeze, squeeze deal until the shot surprises you and see what that does to your consistency.
I bet it has nothing to do with the weapon unless it's a pro staff or buckmaster scope or you dropped or banged it really hard. If it has the pro staff or buckmaster scope I'd send it back to Nikon and have it tested. If it comes back a bum scope you really need to upgrade to the monarch they are great scopes.
Either that or buy a Vortex Viper HS even their cheapest scopes are great scopes.

And dump the 50 MM bell that right there could be your problem because you have to raise your head up off the comb because of the tall ring mounts. That is a huge no, no. Dump the 50mm bell. the biggest I would go on a hunting rifle is 44mm so you can use lower rings so you can maintain a solid wood to wood/ cheek to wood mount with a clear sight picture.

Good luck.
Dan

Last edited:
Reactions: Fueling Around
Always preferred the Marlin 336 over the Winchester lever actions.

Mine is chambered in .35 Remington.

I got it for Christmas when i was in 7th grade.

Love that rifle.

Shot most of my deer with it.

I like mine but it needs some work. Its a little rough. Could use some polishing on some of the internals so the action is smoother.
I want to work on bedding (pillar, glas, and silicon) and THEN continue on my load development. I got a clover pattern at 100yds with 4 shots then the next 2 shots were like 4 inches to the left and high. I think it was barrel heating throwing those shots. I've never had much consistency with grouping. Sometimes 3 shots are 1.5--2 inch groups. Some time they are 3-4 inch groups. No freakin consistency, and I know "it's a 30-30" but I've read up a enough now on it that I'm positive I can at least get some consistency and maybe even get 1 moa with my handloads that showed promise with the clover patterns. It just bugs the crap out of me that this rifle isn't even in the ballpark of accuracy to my other rifles... well except the Mosin Nagant, everything is more accurate than that thing hahaha. I'll get the Mosin sorted out too :)

So just a update...

My cousin and I had a range day the other week so i took out the 308 to figure out the problem... first thing i did was loosen the bolts that hold the stock on and then tightened them to snug, not as tight as they were.

First shoot 50 yards, bullseye( using those paper targets) ... did that one other time and had him try it and he did the same exact thing. Took it out to 100 yards( actual 120) and once again bulleyes. I got 3 in the middle and actual got one round on top another ... then we had a couple soda cans out there and i popped two cans at that distance ... so either the stock was too tight or God did not want me to get any deer with it this season lol

Reactions: tallbm and negolien
So just a update...

My cousin and I had a range day the other week so i took out the 308 to figure out the problem... first thing i did was loosen the bolts that hold the stock on and then tightened them to snug, not as tight as they were.

First shoot 50 yards, bullseye( using those paper targets) ... did that one other time and had him try it and he did the same exact thing. Took it out to 100 yards( actual 120) and once again bulleyes. I got 3 in the middle and actual got one round on top another ... then we had a couple soda cans out there and i popped two cans at that distance ... so either the stock was too tight or God did not want me to get any deer with it this season lol
Yup most important bolts and screws are set by torque for a reason. Glad you all got things squared away.

So just a update...

make sure you torque the screws to factory spec not just snug

I bought a Wheeler FAT screwdriver.

Not too of the line but better than guessing.

Use it for stocks, mounts and rings.

Reactions: negolien
I had issues zeroing my Ashbury after getting it back from the smith. I retorqued the important bolts to spec both in the stock/barrel and the Scope. That made a drastic difference especially past 300 yards.

I own a torque screw driver for just those purposes of getting the torque correct.
Also be sure that when you rest your rifle on something for a steady shot that you aren't resting the BARREL on support area. That will mess with the barrel harmonics which is a major factor in consistent accuracy. Only rest the stock on your support. I see guys at the range doing this all the time where they get a few good shots on target then shots start moving and it's because all of a sudden they are now resting the barrel on the support where they were resting the stock on the support beforehand hahaha.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky