alright guys I need your help! hunting problems( rifle Ruger American)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
How do you transport your rifle?
Soft case? Hard case? No case?
It could be that the rifle is getting knocked around more than you think.
You could always recheck zero once you get to your hunting spot or close by as long as the physical environment allows it (distance and a good back stop).

All in all, lots of good advice on things to check from everyone above.

Reactions: tallbm
I'm reading the posts and wondering how badly some people must handle a scoped rifle, well any rifle.

I restarted deer hunting 15 years ago.
A rifle was passed to me by uncle that used it for at least 25 years.
I have not changed the elevation or windage on this Remington model 742 (also 308) with a Bushnell 3-9x40 scope in those 15 years.
This is shooting 3 brands of ammo (Remington, Winchester, and Federal) , but all the same bullet weight. I prefer 180 grain in 308
I have not missed what I shoot.

After instructing 100's of youth, I watched the trigger jerk.
My hunting buddy is retired Air Force and was an arms trainer and qualifier outside of his regular MOS (job). He noticed the same problem of jerk with all rank levels of adults.

Reactions: negolien
I usually can hit what i' am aiming at out past 300 yards.. Weapon can by far out shoot me. loving me my Zeiss RZ 1000. Trigger slap happens /shrug.
savage4.jpg

negolien negolien
What does trigger slap have to do with the OP's possible issues?

But if we're hijacking the thread and gonna start bragging on our shooting... 300 yards with your hardware isn't much to brag on.
Heck, I shoot 600 yards at CMP Talladega Marksmanship Park with my M1A's iron sights and keep it on target if the winds aren't really blowing.

Reactions: chopsaw
Trigger slap during a hunt isn't uncommon. I was just thinking during the engagement we sometimes get hopped up and jerk the trigger. If you have nothing nice to say maybe you shouldn't post. BTW if I was bragging I woulda said I shoot under an MOA at 300 yards..

Attachments

• savage moa.jpg
    savage moa.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
negolien negolien
What does trigger slap have to do with the OP's possible issues?

But if we're hijacking the thread and gonna start bragging on our shooting... 300 yards with your hardware isn't much to brag on.
Heck, I shoot 600 yards at CMP Talladega Marksmanship Park with my M1A's iron sights and keep it on target if the winds aren't really blowing.
I love my M1A

Bought it almost 40 years ago.

Springfield Armory. Standard Model.
I could shoot better than guys with Match and Super-Match M1As!

• Love
I love my M1A

Bought it almost 40 years ago.

Springfield Armory. Standard Model.
I could shoot better than guys with Match and Super-Match M1As!

I Always wanted one but alas they are 1800 dollars here for a limp version :<(. I got lucky and got my Ashbury and Zeiss scope for half price when a brick and mortar went outta business. Op stated his scope was on after the shoot so i assume it wasn't a mounting issue or anything. Depending on caliber I guess brush coulda been an issue as someone brought up. Maybe wounded and just didn't get a good blood trail. hard to say.

Trigger slap during a hunt isn't uncommon. I was just thinking during the engagement we sometimes get hopped up and jerk the trigger. If you have nothing nice to say maybe you shouldn't post. BTW if I was bragging I woulda said I shoot under an MOA at 300 yards..
You mistake my words as being not nice, let me explain...

I take Trigger Slap to be the trigger slapping the finger as the disconnect functions, feeling ranges from mild to painful.
Most often encountered in semiauto firearms.
VS
Trigger Slapping on the other hand is moving the finger off the trigger immediately instead of holding/following through on the shot.
And/or taking your finger off the trigger as you come off pressure and allow the trigger to reset.
Then it can be common to jerk the trigger as the next shot is fired.

While coming off the trigger immediately after firing the shot may allow the barrel to move laterally this generally only significantly affects accuracy noticeably when shooting sub MOA groups.
Slapping and jerking off and come together so on second thought I could see where your comment could relate to his accuracy issue,
My apology on that.

Two different things, trigger slap and trigger slapping.
One is a mechanical issue the other is a bad habit.

As for my comments about bragging and hijacking, when an op seems to have abandoned his thread it is sometimes sort of fair game, not necessarily polite on our part but often arises out of boredom.
Devolving the thread into bragging on shooting skills is like bragging on hunting or fishing skills it's part of the fun.
I wasn't trying to be mean or belittle you.
But seriously, with your hardware you should be shooting sub MOA at 300 yds.
Your pics show nice groups, so good shooting on your part.
Your gear should easily be able to maintain that kind of MOA out to 600 plus yards.
I know it's very hard to find room to stretch your legs, I have to travel three hours to get past 450 yards.

Don't be so sensitive.

Last edited:
  • Love
Officially hijacking this thread for random hunting and rifle topics haha.

I just got all my stuff in to attempt my first pillar and glass bedding job soon.
I plan to start with my Mosin Nagant because... its not very accurate with off the shelf loads or mil surplus stuff I have AND who cares if I butcher this beat up stock some (mil surplus rifle) so it's a good training stock and I can replace it with any stock under the sun for this rifle :)

If that goes well then I plan to work on my Marlin 336 in 30-30. That one is going to be a pillar and glass bedding along with silicon bedding the fore end and the ring that holds the barrel and mag tube together.

After that I'm not sure. All my other rifles are fairly accurate with my hand loads. Maybe I'll move on to some of my brother's rifles, he needs as much help as he can get to be accurate with is 8mm Mauser hahaha. If that goes well then his Remington 700BDL 7mm-mag and if that goes well then I'll always have it in my back pocket to do my Remington 30-06.

I'm pretty excited to do this work and again I simply can't trust any so called gunsmiths in my local or extended area to do such a job properly, in a timely fashion, when they say they will, AND for a respectable price hahaha :)

Officially hijacking this thread for random hunting and rifle topics haha.

I just got all my stuff in to attempt my first pillar and glass bedding job soon.
I plan to start with my Mosin Nagant because... its not very accurate with off the shelf loads or mil surplus stuff I have AND who cares if I butcher this beat up stock some (mil surplus rifle) so it's a good training stock and I can replace it with any stock under the sun for this rifle :)

If that goes well then I plan to work on my Marlin 336 in 30-30. That one is going to be a pillar and glass bedding along with silicon bedding the fore end and the ring that holds the barrel and mag tube together.

After that I'm not sure. All my other rifles are fairly accurate with my hand loads. Maybe I'll move on to some of my brother's rifles, he needs as much help as he can get to be accurate with is 8mm Mauser hahaha. If that goes well then his Remington 700BDL 7mm-mag and if that goes well then I'll always have it in my back pocket to do my Remington 30-06.

I'm pretty excited to do this work and again I simply can't trust any so called gunsmiths in my local or extended area to do such a job properly, in a timely fashion, when they say they will, AND for a respectable price hahaha :)
Always preferred the Marlin 336 over the Winchester lever actions.

Mine is chambered in .35 Remington.

I got it for Christmas when i was in 7th grade.

Love that rifle.

Shot most of my deer with it.

Reactions: Fueling Around
Sounds like some good advice. Being around 3 Ruger Americans in the group I hunt with. All different calibers & models. Same with the scopes & mounts. We all had problems with getting the scope mounts tight enough where it clamps to gun. Might want to look at that. Hope you figure out the problem. can be very frustrating.

Having been a marksmanship instructor in the military I'll throw in my 2cents.

Provided you use the same ammo on the range and in the field and your weapon is sound in functionality then their are really only two other factors involved:the environment and you.

Not much you can do about the environmental factor other than adapt to the terrain/weather conditions or pick a good weather day/easier terrain.

If the problem is you that is something that cannot be diagnosed and solved over the internet.You need to get out to the range and have someone much like myself observe you shooting and then go from there.

Last edited:
Reactions: tallbm and negolien
My vote if the scope is tight would be 100% shooter error. New high power rifles (even entry level guns) shoot MOA right from the factory. 65 yds is a chip shot for any rifle, let alone a newer one in my opinion.

Reactions: bill ace 350
My vote if the scope is tight would be 100% shooter error. New high power rifles (even entry level guns) shoot MOA right from the factory. 65 yds is a chip shot for any rifle, let alone a newer one in my opinion.
I agree. Not trying to ridicule the shooter.
Some range time will provide the answer.

As far as scopes and scope mounting, i'm a firm believer in using a torque screwdriver and torquing to manufacturers specs. Blue locktite also.

You mistake my words as being not nice, let me explain...

I take Trigger Slap to be the trigger slapping the finger as the disconnect functions, feeling ranges from mild to painful.
Most often encountered in semiauto firearms.
VS
Trigger Slapping on the other hand is moving the finger off the trigger immediately instead of holding/following through on the shot.
And/or taking your finger off the trigger as you come off pressure and allow the trigger to reset.
Then it can be common to jerk the trigger as the next shot is fired.

While coming off the trigger immediately after firing the shot may allow the barrel to move laterally this generally only significantly affects accuracy noticeably when shooting sub MOA groups.
Slapping and jerking off and come together so on second thought I could see where your comment could relate to his accuracy issue,
My apology on that.

Two different things, trigger slap and trigger slapping.
One is a mechanical issue the other is a bad habit.

As for my comments about bragging and hijacking, when an op seems to have abandoned his thread it is sometimes sort of fair game, not necessarily polite on our part but often arises out of boredom.
Devolving the thread into bragging on shooting skills is like bragging on hunting or fishing skills it's part of the fun.
I wasn't trying to be mean or belittle you.
But seriously, with your hardware you should be shooting sub MOA at 300 yds.
Your pics show nice groups, so good shooting on your part.
Your gear should easily be able to maintain that kind of MOA out to 600 plus yards.
I know it's very hard to find room to stretch your legs, I have to travel three hours to get past 450 yards.

Don't be so sensitive.

We have a 1000 yard range here.. I don't shoot on it LOL. Like I said before the weapon by FAR outshoots me. I shoot the 100 yard targets out to 300 then use steel past that. OP didn't really provide enough detail to diagnose his Issue I agree.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky