All About Brining

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Joe, Thanks for sharing. Since this topic covers both pork and poultry I'm going to move it to "General Discussions". I'll leave a Moved marker in this forum.

Thanks for the link Joe,

I've been looking for something like this for a little guidance, as brining is new to me.

That's a great article Joe! The "venerable" Mr. Brown turned me on to brining several years ago. Now no turkey or pork shoulder gets cooked without it! I've discovered too with pork shoulders that it's best to deeply score the fat and skin cap right down to the meat to help get the brine in to do it's job. I usually let a 12 - 16 lb shoulder brine for a good 4 - 5 days. Turkeys about 2. Instead of water, I use a mixture of apple cider, vegetable broth, maple syrup or molasses, bourbon and if I want some heat, Frank's Hot Sauce and Tobasco. I add crushed garlic cloves, sliced onions (to release their juices), and freshly coarse ground black pepper. Other herbs and spices I save for the accompanying rubs and butters.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky