Air Fryer Whoa's

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Winterrider

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 29, 2018
North Dakota
I was having a discussion previously with Bear about my Merrill smoking up the house when doing chicken. I usually get bone in skin chicken. Was blaming it on the skin splatter on the burner but not so sure. Started putting pan under and still did it. I clean it all the time after use so pretty sure it isn't build up. Took out to the garage and ran it at 420° for about an hr, no sign of smoke. Used it the other night to try and make some potato wedges. Oiled and mixed with SPOG in a bowl. Put in frying basket with baking pan underneath to catch any drippings @ 360°. You guessed it, smoke alarms going off again. Put it out in garage and finished wedges in the oven.
Anyone else have this issue all the time? Starting to get frustrating. Going to clean inside one more time with oven cleaner and if still smokes us out, taking it to the curb.
At least I know my alarms work :emoji_wink:

Don't have one but is it actually getting smokey or just smoke alarms overly sensitive? Only reason I ask is we had smoke alarm like that...bet if bottle of liquid smoke was opened the dang thing went off.

Ryan

Yes, my fryer will do that occasionally. I attribute it to spatter. Mine is an Instant Vortex. Hasn't set the alarm off yet - which might not necessarily be a good thing. I cook bacon in mine - heck I cook everything in mine so I'm sure it gets lots of spatter. It did it just this morning on sausage patties but it's done it on frozen taters.

I also have a persnickity smoke detector in my bedroom. If I take a long hot shower and don't run the exhaust fan and the ceiling fan in the bedroom it beeps.

We keep both our Air Fryers outside on the patio. We get the smell of the food, but no smoke.
Al

Don't have one but is it actually getting smokey or just smoke alarms overly sensitive? Only reason I ask is we had smoke alarm like that...bet if bottle of liquid smoke was opened the dang thing went off.

Ryan
No it's full fledged smoke out when it happens. Had all 3 alarms sounding off the other day.
We keep both our Air Fryers outside on the patio. We get the smell of the food, but no smoke.
Al
If I keep, may need to make a dedicated spot in garage. With cold set in, not as easy to open up Windows for airing it out.

Hi Rider!!
I still find it strange, because mine never smokes, unless it gets a little drippings on the element, and then only for a short time.

However I found this site with some suggestions, like changing the oil you use on the thighs:
Check this out:

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky