Aged Beef Tenderloin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BB-que

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 8, 2016
So I’m about 2 weeks in on an aged beef tenderloin. My plan was 60 days as in the bag as I’m in no hurry to have it. Anybody have any experience with 45 opposed to 60 days? I’m thinking I’m gonna get the tenderness and flavor out of 45 but if folks tell me ya might as well do the extra 2 weeks that it make a big difference, then I will. Thanks in advance for thoughts

From what I've read 30-45 days is great tenderness and little of that "aged" flavor. After 45 days the flavors get very pronounced. I'll know what that flavor is in about 2 weeks myself when I cook up a 50 day aged brisket.

You say 60 says in the bag...So this will be Wet Aged? You will get it more tender, as long as the seal is intact. But it's my understanding, there will be no significant flavor change. At least not the concentrated Beefy flavor from dehydration or that Dry Aged Funk. True Dry Aging would give a significant loss as all the leathery, surface jerky would have to be cut away. I'm definitely interested in the result, wet or dry...JJ

You say 60 says in the bag...So this will be Wet Aged? You will get it more tender, as long as the seal is intact. But it's my understanding, there will be no significant flavor change. At least not the concentrated Beefy flavor from dehydration or that Dry Aged Funk. True Dry Aging would give a significant loss as all the leathery, surface jerky would have to be cut away. I'm definitely interested in the result, wet or dry...JJ
Dry aged

Butchers, Dry AgeTenderloins on the carcass. The spine protects the one side from drying out and a thick layer of Fat the inside portion. Dry Aging a Peeled and trimmed Tender might only yield about 50-60% of your starting weight. Be prepared to to eat a small portion of crazy good but stupid expensive beef. Very Cool!...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky