After 2 Years of Looking-I FINALLY FOUND THEM!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

indaswamp

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
Apr 27, 2017
South Louisiana-Yes, it is HOT
Ago D'Osso Di Calvallo; Authentic Horse Bone Salumi needle....
IMG_20220905_163143.jpg

I bought 2.. Very good price 14.50 EU so with the Coversion rate to Dollars it was around $12 bucks each. Shipping via. FEDEX was $18 for a total of around $42.75. And they arrived from Italy to my door in 6 days! I was amazed I got them so fast! We had a big work weekend at the deer camp so I had a present waiting for me when I got home last night. So excited! I do want to try and make some out of deer bone eventually...I would LOVE to get my hands on some elk or moose bone to make some though.

Last edited:
I have a good friend that does leather work as a hobby. I will ask him to make a couple of leather holders for me to store them in.

So bone is the perfect material for checking the flavor development of salumi. It is porous and can trap the scent of the salumi when inserted into the meat about 1-2 cm. The scent can then be smelled and sampled by the Norcini and an evaluation of the piece can be made by the scent profile. The scent does not last long on the tip of the bone an quickly fades allowing for it to be used over and over again without fail. In order to receive the 5 point Crown seal of approval from the Consortium, Proscuitto Di Parma must be checked in five critical places on the ham for proper preservation and flavor development using the horse bone needle.

I need them to check the Culatello I have hanging. Culatello is only checked in one spot, on the bottom of the piece where the bone was extracted from the muscle group as this is where the ham will usually go bad if it did not dry properly.

But all salumi can be checked for flavor profile using the bone needle....

Last edited:
Reactions: Newglide and TNJAKE
So bone is the perfect material for checking the flavor development of salumi. It is porous and can trap the scent of the salumi when inserted into the meat about 1-2 cm. The scent can then be smelled and sampled by the Norcini and an evaluation of the piece can be made by the scent profile. The scent does not last long on the tip of the bone an quickly fades allowing for it to be used over and over again without fail. In order to receive the 5 point Crown seal of approval from the Consortium, Proscuitto must be checked in five critical places on the ham for proper preservation and flavor development using the horse bone needle.
Next level stuff.

Reactions: babydoc
*I have learned that not all animal bone is optimum for use as a salumi needle. Animals that run have the best bone structure so a horse is the best choice...larger bones are better/easier to shape properly. Which is why an elk or moose would be a good choice as well.
Domestic pigs and cows-not so much....

FYI, I did a little reading on dry cured hams in the book Dry-Cured Meat Poducts by Fidel Toldra'. In it he says that the horse bone needle used for salumi is made from the fibula of a horse. I looked up the skeletal structure of a horse and yep, that's it.....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky