Affordable way to add a side burner to Weber Genesis (gen 1)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sandyut

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 18, 2015
Colorado
eReplacment parts has the parts, but buying them separately is well north of $300 which is not happening. I was hoping to find a kit with everything for much less. the grill is over 10 years old.

thoughts and options?
  1. Wait till the Gen 1 dies and replace with a new one with a side burner and other new tech.
  2. find a way to add the side burner
  3. keep using my portable propane burner sitting on the shelf.

Have had side burners and they were under powered,
good to know! thanks a bunch

EDIT: my portable is only 7200 BTU and the weber built in side burner is 12,000... looking for a propane singe burner with more than 7200 that i can attach to a tank with a hose that I have.

Last edited:
This how I added a side burner to my RecTec

489820-b868a204de78e06979bf08865c0ac676.jpg

that is electric? hmmm might work nicely! do you have a link to whatcha got there?

that is electric? hmmm might work nicely! do you have a link to whatcha got there?
Its a 1800 watt induction burner. I use them for my homebrew with a 40 quart stock pot. You do need induction cookware. It is all I buy anymore just because they are usually heavy duty. They don't make this one anymore but I also have a Duxtop.

Last edited:
just an FYI in case anyone ends up in the same boat. Weber will not support or sell parts for a modification of a grill from its original ship configuration. Pretty much a liability issue if we blow up I suppose. The Coleman portable camp stove will work.

This will Get 'er Done!...JJ

Reactions: sandyut
This will Get 'er Done!...JJ
YES! OMG thank you! I looked for a long time and got overwhelmed and gave up! This is exactly what I wanted, a propane burner with the hose attachment to hook up to a 20LB tank - I have a 6 ft extension hose already that will hook right up to this stove hose/regulator

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky