Aerogarden

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dr k

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Mar 22, 2013
Peoria, IL
I got my mom the Harvest Aerogarden 6 pod herb hydroponic planter for Xmas that has been doing great so I ordered the 6 pod Harvest Aerogarden with the heirloom cherry tomato pods. I also ordered the LED panel, a liter of the liquid miracle grow plant food for the hydroponic system and any plants and 50 unseeded pod sponges to grow my own seeds. I have no need to grow my super hots this year since I have a lot dehydrated so the cherry tomatoes will fill the Harvest and Kroger has $1.99 containered herbs that'll go under the panel with other veggies that'll be permanently inside like the herbs or transplanted outside. The panel will supplement light to the Harvest as the tomatoes grow outward. The panel rises from 10"-17" on it's legs and comes with a hanging kit. The 20 watt Harvest and 45 watt LED panel will cost $5.00/mo to run 15 hours a day 31 days a month.
Mom's herb garden from 1.4.20 plant date.
20200119_144550.jpg

Pic of what to expect from half grown cherry tomatoes.
harvest2018_blk_ff_hct_800_4.1556736079.jpg

LED panel for potted plants.
15795465665232842260102696475376001.png
The Harvest has an optional tray with about 30 sponge holders for transplanting for set it and forget it germinating vs the included 6 pod perpetual growing tray. This just solved heat issues when getting seeds to germinate in cold winter months with needing a heat mat. More pics when everything is set up.

Looks pretty cool! We always enjoy getting garden catalogs this time of year and look forward to warmer weather...especially after a blizzard and high temps of zero

Ryan

Reactions: dr k
Kurt Looks good I will start some seeds the end of Feb. Like the Thai Birds Eye from the Philippines,Tomatila ,Tomato (Bell an Plum) Cukes
Richie

Reactions: dr k
Kurt Looks good I will start some seeds the end of Feb. Like the Thai Birds Eye from the Philippines,Tomatila ,Tomato (Bell an Plum) Cukes
Richie
A few years ago I grew some Thai chilis that were good. Tomatilllos for green enchilada sauce/salsa verde is my favorite vs red enchilada sauce. Hot peppers don't bother me but the acid in red tomatoes and anything made with them gives me acid issues only when I lie down that a Tums takes care of. Im going to look for Tomatillo seeds/seedlings. I've got a life time supply of dried super hots. I got about 500 Carolina Reapers from your seeds last summer and have half the sample small ziplock of CR powder you sent with the seeds. 1/4 teaspoon in a 6 qt crockpot of chili is spicy but all the flavors come through.

Richie
I am surprised that early in MA, when do you move them outside?

I will be growing these in my basement so they will be ready for May That is the peppers they need the extra time.
Richie
so they must be pretty big when you move them outside? what kind of set up do you have in the basement? My habaneros barely were pickable when the cold came last year here in Long Island. I need to do this as well.

so they must be pretty big when you move them outside? what kind of set up do you have in the basement? My habaneros barely were pickable when the cold came last year here in Long Island. I need to do this as well.
Just a full spectrum grow light in a work light shield here is a post I did on my reapers
Richie

Update:
I started my Aerogarden just under a month ago 1.22.20. The Heirloom Cherry Tomatoes sprouted in 5-7 days. I just topped them today above the 4th/5th branch so they grow out more not so high but the light raises up to 12". I looked up why hydroponics don't drown roots like when planted in soil. The leaves during the day light abosorb CO2 and light to produce energy for growth and at night turn into a respiratory function of absorbing oxygen. The roots are always in resiratory mode absorbing oxygen 24/7 so flooded soil fills the air pockets around the roots and starve them for oxygen and they turn brown and die from root rot, killing the plant. Healthy oxygenated roots are white and with a circulating water pump and/or airstone aerator from an aquarium pump, hose and airstone the oxygenated water allows roots to be submerged to absorb oxygen so no root rot and just add liquid nutrients everyother week and keep water filled to the max. I use distilled water. The wet roots above the water line absorb oxygen from the air just being wet (air roots.) The other week I added the pump, hose and airstone for night aeration and half hour aeration 3xs during the day on a timer for what is called supercharging your Aerogarden. It was $14 and runs on 1 watt. Helps to control algae and the water resevoir is dark for no algae growth. Just under one month since I got the Aerogarden. This pic was befoe I topped these six tomato plants.
20200220_100433.jpg
20200214_131106.jpg
U-picks Mini Aquarium Air Pump Kit for 1-15 Gallon Fish Tank,The Quietest Air Pump with Accessories Super quite only hear bubbles. The air pump can run 24/7 for the aerogarden application but I set it up intermittently during the day because the water pump comes on five minutes every half hour. Flowers in a couple weeks.

Anyone still use their Aerogarden? I ask because I recently bought one and loved it so much I have a total of 7 now. I also found a group that has a TON of information that I found useful. They actually helped me grow my tomatoes, well figure out what I was doing wrong. If you do a search for Aerogarden Addicts you should find it.

I love using my herbs (cilantro, basil, thyme and oregano) in my rubs. My husband has a recteq (I think that is how it is spelled) but is researching new smokers. He wants something better and bigger. I will have to give him the link to this forum.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky