Adjusting recipes depending on curing salt.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ak1

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Feb 23, 2010
Stoney Creek, Ontario, Canada
My question is, what adjustments are normally necessary if any based on what curing salts one uses? Is it just the amount of curing salt, or are there other issues?

Example; recipe X calls for certain ingredients and a certain amount of curing salt (lets say pink salt). Now, what if I'm making the same recipe, but don't have "pink salt" but another curing salt, i.e. Ready Cure in my case. 

can 
I just change the amount of cure or are there other issues?

One more reason why we need a separate section for curing..

I only use TQ but from what I've read, you go by what the manufacturer of the cure spells out. Not all cures are the same so they won't interchange in recipes like salt and pepper and other spices..

There are differences in the amount of cure used and also the salt content of the cure. Morton's Tender Quick has a lot more salt than Instacure # 1

My question is, what adjustments are normally necessary if any based on what curing salts one uses? Is it just the amount of curing salt, or are there other issues?

Example; recipe X calls for certain ingredients and a certain amount of curing salt (lets say pink salt). Now, what if I'm making the same recipe, but don't have "pink salt" but another curing salt, i.e. Ready Cure in my case. 

can 
I just change the amount of cure or are there other issues?
Personally I would go by each MFG's directions, personal adjustments would be like self medicating against the MFG's tried and true recipe, This could lead to a Bad Bad outcome.

I have used both "Pink Curing Salt" and "Morton's TQ" and they are not interchangeable without some math. 

Personally, I prefer making my own cures so I can control the amount of salt, but many guys, both novice and advanced, swear by Morton's TQ.  1 oz of "Pink Curing Salt" will cure 25# meat.  To interchange ratios would not be good.

Todd

icon_cool.gif

I also use both tender-quik and the pink salt cures. Now you have to use the manufacturers instructions for each one. Now I'm trying to watch my salt content in my new dishes and methods.

So, with a cure like TQ, would I need to adjust the amount of salt used in the recipe?
Yes you do have to adjust the amount of salt you add to the recipe based on what cure you are using. Most people say to omit the salt a recipe calls for when using TQ

I omit all salt when using TQ. That stuff has enough salt to start a salt lick.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky