Adirondack Chair Build

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I love these chairs! Yours is a beauty. Reminds me of one of my favorite places in the Olympic Mountains in Washington.

496E4489-015D-42B4-9FC4-A2BA81D2799E.jpeg

Reactions: kilo charlie
Very nice work, you did a great job. I like how you managed to burn the pine, and now it is easy to see the entire structure of the tree. I want to ask your advice about a pair of chairs for my Moda Boardroom table. I bought it on https://www.office-furniture.com.au/ for my summer house as it perfectly fits my style. I like the combination of rough metal and natural wood, something that is impossible in real life. Now I would like to create 6 chairs designed in the same style for this table. I think you're the right person to help me. I found a couple of interesting ideas on Pinterest, but it's hard for me to realize them just from the picture.

Last edited:
Very nice work, you did a great job. I like how you managed to burn the pine, and now it is easy to see the entire structure of the tree.
Thank you! I've done burnt pine before in smaller projects with a hand held torch but for this project I used a weed burner... took about 15 minutes to lay everything out in the driveway and burn it.

Reactions: boomerpusher
Hi Kilo

I just noticed this link in your signature. Nice work. And the burnt look is great also. Have done a few projects this way,

I was also always going to build a couple to sit down by the lake. But than Mona saw this display at a store around here and now that's what she wants to have , mostly as a joke . Because everyone around the lake has regular size one's.

So now trying to find good plans that I can blow up to larger size. The things we do, lol

David

PS: I know Mona's not a big girl but this is a big chair anyway's.... :emoji_grin: :emoji_grin: :emoji_laughing:

IMG_0615.jpg

Hi Kilo

I just noticed this link in your signature. Nice work. And the burnt look is great also. Have done a few projects this way,

I was also always going to build a couple to sit down by the lake. But than Mona saw this display at a store around here and now that's what she wants to have , mostly as a joke . Because everyone around the lake has regular size one's.

So now trying to find good plans that I can blow up to larger size. The things we do, lol

David

PS: I know Mona's not a big girl but this is a big chair anyway's.... :emoji_grin: :emoji_grin: :emoji_laughing:

View attachment 527106

Hahah would definitely be a fun project for sure! Maybe make it wider and then you can both sit in it at the same time! Hopefully you can find some good plans!

Reactions: DRKsmoking
DRKsmoking DRKsmoking I got the original plans from Kregjig - perhaps if you know anyone that can expand those plans for the scale you want would give you a place to start?

Kilo Charlie, Nice build. I bought a plastic/resin one from Costco last year. Never put it together. Took it back because money was tight. Always wanted to build from scratch. Would have to reinforce or use oak. At 400lbs, chairs tend to crumble under me.....but I don't know why! LOL! Great build, thanks for sharing. BRAVO ZULU!!

DRKsmoking DRKsmoking I got the original plans from Kregjig - perhaps if you know anyone that can expand those plans for the scale you want would give you a place to start?

That's a great idea. I have not looked at their plans yet but you mentioned there were 2 misprints or just something you changed on their plan.

I have a lot of the Kreg fasteners and jigs , but have never used them . They where in the garage on shelf when we bought the place. The last owner passed away and the wife did not want them so left them. I never got around to using as sort of set in my ways of doing cabinets . But always thought I would try it out someday ...so this might be it

David

That's a great idea. I have not looked at their plans yet but you mentioned there were 2 misprints or just something you changed on their plan.

I have a lot of the Kreg fasteners and jigs , but have never used them . They where in the garage on shelf when we bought the place. The last owner passed away and the wife did not want them so left them. I never got around to using as sort of set in my ways of doing cabinets . But always thought I would try it out someday ...so this might be it

David
In Step 16, highlighted by the green dots below, it appears to me that the direction of the pocket holes is going towards the bottom of the boards when I feel that they need to go to the top of the boards to screw into the bottom of the arm rests.

1645982250150.png

In step 19, a similar issue, where the holes appear to be pointed to the wrong side of the board. The flat upper part also screws into the bottom of the arm rests.

1645982449228.png

I use my Kreg Jig for SO many things! It's worth every penny to me.. I think my kit was $29 at Menards and it's handy as heck building drawers and cabinets etc in my garage.

Like everything in life there are fans and haters but it appears that at least chopsaw chopsaw and I are fans!

Mine was my Dad's . I brought it home , and it just sat on the bench . Mines the small 2 hole one . Decided to try it out on some scrap . Impressive holding power , and really speeds things up . I used to do mortise and tenon or half lap . This is a time saver without loss of holding power , and no glue .

1645983506734.png

This is the one I have.. I use a welding type C Clamp to hold it down and my shop vac when I am drilling.. I would like to have a second one to clamp down and drill more holes at once before moving thins but it's not required

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky