Adding propane assist to a wood/charcoal smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

NightBiker07

Original poster
Nov 7, 2021
I would like to add a propane assist to this smoker we built.
This thing works great when it's warm out, but can be hard to keep up to temperature in colder evenings.

No idea what I should be looking at, but I know I want automatic temperature control. And I also know I don't want to half ass something and create an explosion danger.

I'm kind of surprised at the seeming lack of products geared toward this, as custom smokers aren't uncommon.

But perhaps I'm just looking in the wrong place?

20150812_071243.jpg
20190809_152446.jpg

The explosion danger possibility is very real, hence very few products due to potential liability IMO.

Instead of propane , Have you thought about a blanket to help keep the heat? Thats what I do with my electric and my offset wood smoker.

I would like to add a propane assist to this smoker we built.
This thing works great when it's warm out, but can be hard to keep up to temperature in colder evenings.

No idea what I should be looking at, but I know I want automatic temperature control. And I also know I don't want to half ass something and create an explosion danger.

I'm kind of surprised at the seeming lack of products geared toward this, as custom smokers aren't uncommon.

But perhaps I'm just looking in the wrong place?

View attachment 515716View attachment 515717

I had similar issues due to using to thin sheet metal in construction. How well does the rig seal? It needs to be air tight other than the exhaust stack and firebox openings.

Your exhaust stack and fb look a bit on the small side as well. How big is the air inlet on the firebox?

Do you have a damper on the exhaust?

If it's just cooking chamber Temps you are worried about, you could always add a charcoal basket inside where you have some room.

I was looking at separated combustion infrared heat tubes, but it seems all of that sort of stuff is way too long for what I need.

The firebox seals quite well.
The exhaust has a damper that seals very well.

On a warm day it's actually really easy to let this thing get way too hot.

I have tried blankets, it doesn't help as much as we need.

The metal of both components of this are both propane tanks so they gauge of the metal is quite thick.

There's no room anywhere to add a second fire source, It was built this way so grease can't possibly ignite and burn up the cook. There's a grease drain in front of this thing under the exhaust, and when we set it up we tilt it ever so slightly down.

There's also a flat plate on the bottom of the big tank that extends into the firebox area to bring heat to the front. It maintains a perfectly steady temperature inside because of this.

It is possible to open it up and get it roaring on a cold night, but then you run into a situation where the food gets just polluted with smoke.

Ive just been considering buying a propane smoker and cannibalizing it. But I figure somebody has to build the systems for smoker manufacturers, So maybe somebody sold a kit for a build it yourself smoker.

Last edited:
This company has been around a number of years. Maybe you can discuss your ideas with the owner.

The risk of flameout with gas accumulating in a too rich environment until a lid is lifted introducing more oxygen is a real possibility. Look around the internet and you'll find real world examples of folks who have "been there, done that". Commercial rigs that use gas have instrumentation with safety interlocks.

Think I might look at a pellet burner to add to it maybe .

You could convert it into a reverse flow. Move the stack to the other side and weld in a 1/4 inch plate to retain heat

20141217_105743.jpg 20141217_132832.jpg 20141217_105808.jpg

Boykjo

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky