Adding buttermilk powder to your bread recipes....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

daveomak

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 12, 2010
Omak,Washington,U.S.A.
I've been tweaking my bread recipe for a few years... I use a bread machine... usually make 1 loaf/week....
This is my recipe..
450 gms bread flour
45 gms Demerara sugar
20 gms dry buttermilk /// experimental loaf in the machine now has 20 gms dry milk powder....
12 gms kosher salt
12 gms yeast
12 gms gluten
12 gms Caraway seed
12 gms Dill seed
4 TBS butter
260 gms warm water
I was shooting for an acidic flavor in the bread similar to Deli Jewish Rye which is like a sour dough, fermented...
It's really good...
Well, I kept adding buttermilk powder in an attempt to get a more sour flavor....
My loaves kept getting smaller and more dense.... I love the increased density and sour flavor but the bread wouldn't rise properly....
NEWS FLASH !!!!
The BM powder was killing the yeast.... Cow’s milk has a pH of 6.7–6.9, compared with 4.4–4.8 for buttermilk...
Soooo, if you add BM to your bread recipe, be prepared to make some changes...
A 1-2 gms change in BM powder can make a significant change in how your bread rises...
Carefully adjusting the gms. BM can make a very nice, more dense bread.... not that airy stuff that's not good for much....
Try adding a small amount to your regular bread recipe to tighten it up.. Play with the BM amount until you get a perfect loaf...
NOTE..... Volume measure does NOT work when trying to replicate a recipe... use grams weights for all your measurements....

BM is healthy... https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/buttermilk#what-it-is

I have an experimental loaf in the bread machine now... in about 4 hours, I will show my results...

As I increased the BM powder, I had to increase the other ingredients proportionally to get a full sized loaf with the increased density...

You lost me at the part that cows had milk. Ha ha!

I'm sure it will be very helpful information for some. Thanks Dave...

• Haha
Reactions: daveomak
Hi Dave
Interesting...I haven't tried buttermilk powder. I have fermento...wonder if that would be an ok substitute. I make a rye bread that uses pickle juice as an ingredient. I'm not sure if a link is allowed but if your interested just Google real ny Jewish rye bread and give it a read. Not sure how authentic it is but if you follow the recipe it turns out real good.

Hmm, why not just make real rye bread with sourdough starter? Results will be much better than adding vinegar, which is the wrong flavor. There's a real easy way to maintain a starter that I've been using for the last 2 years that doesn't require a lot of attention:

With real Jewish Rye you need a starter like sourdough.... Most bakeries use left over bread dough as the starter/mother... Too much work for me... Dry ingredients into a bread machine is just right..

Anywho, I found out what I needed to know...
This loaf is with dry milk powder... It's the same size as the 20 gms dry buttermilk...
The dry BM recipe has a more acidic flavor.. When I went with `35 gms dry BM, the loaf was 1/2 sized compared to this loaf.... in 2 tests...

This loaf is 5x5x7" tall.... It's missing that sour flavor... It's pretty dense at 1.85#'s ... I love it...
Awesome bread....

Bread reg. milk 001.JPG
Bread reg. milk 002.JPG

Reactions: pc farmer
When I added Powdered Buttermilk to my Sandwich 🥪 bread 🍞 recipe it does have an affect on the finished loaf when substituting Powdered Buttermilk for Powdered Milk. I can compensated for the change by adding 1 Tbsp more water & an additional 1 gram of yeast to my recipe. This improved the rise & a smooth top. Now can't say for sure this will work w/ heavier grain bread, but does works for my White Sandwich 🥪 Bread 🍞 recipe.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky