Add hooks for hanging stuff in MES

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zwiller

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Nov 16, 2016
Sandusky, OH
Worth the hassle? MES is newer model and does not allow for me to use dowels and not much room either with AMNPS on bottom rack. I plan to drill and mount 2 SS ones in the top. Any other thoughts or advice appreciated!

If the racks go to the top you can hang stuff off the rack. I’ve got six 3/8 nuts welded in mine. Haven’t used then yet

Reactions: zwiller
CBE4E069-F08C-4E37-8FB4-26C8E49C854B.png

I don't know what the newer ones look like inside . Why can't you use dowels ? Different shelf mount ?

How about this. No drilling. Can set off to one side. Remove when not in use. I like it but don’t need it!

Last edited:
I don't know what the newer ones look like inside . Why can't you use dowels ? Different shelf mount ?

Yes, the mount is just a slit just tall enough to fit the rack.

Can you attach a piece of angle on each side a couple inches from the top ? That would let you use dowels and adjust as needed . If you like wood better , do the same with wood . A cleat each side and use dowels .

D3A6882D-FCC3-4E64-B0E2-783BDEC689FB.jpeg
I repurposed one of my worn out MESs as an oven to cure cerakote. I put rivnuts with threaded hooks near the top and attached what are essentially old-school screen door springs as a hanging point. I would imagine that this would work well for sausage too.

Can you attach a piece of angle on each side a couple inches from the top ? That would let you use dowels and adjust as needed . If you like wood better , do the same with wood . A cleat each side and use dowels .

Great idea! Mind racing now.

View attachment 392931 I repurposed one of my worn out MESs as an oven to cure cerakote. I put rivnuts with threaded hooks near the top and attached what are essentially old-school screen door springs as a hanging point. I would imagine that this would work well for sausage too.

ANOTHER great idea! Actually, several ideas. LOL Never heard of rivnuts or cerakote.

Thanks so far guys!

I used a 1" x 3" piece of wood cut to length of the top rack mount. Drilled five 1 /2" holes evenly spaced thru center of board, then ripped down center of board. Trimmed to fit, which will fit right behind rack mount. Fits tight no need to secure. Use dowel as needed.

Worth the hassle? MES is newer model and does not allow for me to use dowels and not much room either with AMNPS on bottom rack. I plan to drill and mount 2 SS ones in the top. Any other thoughts or advice appreciated!

I might be worth it you would need to figure out a way to ensure the hooks don't pull out from the weight hung on them. The sheet metal for the MES is very thin and then it is all spray insulation foam inside. Not much substantial material for a screw to grab onto there so even something as light as 5 pounds may present a problem

One approach that would work is to drill COMPLETELY through the outside top of the MES into the inside ceiling. Then use a food grade (Stainless Steel, etc.) bolt with a hook or plain bolt where fasten a hook, etc. with some washers and you will have no problems supporting the weight then.
upload_2019-4-12_9-50-31.png

I am highly confident this approach would work since I have drilled through my MES to install a convection fan so I have a little experience modding the MES :emoji_sunglasses::emoji_blush:

Let me know if this makes some sense :emoji_smile:

i just hang s hooks from top rack take other racks out for hanging sausage or other stuff

Let me know if this makes some sense :emoji_smile:

Actually makes perfect sense! What you propose is EXACTLY what I was thinking, sheet metal flimsy so go all the way through fender washers etc. Is there any wiring in the top?

In case others look at this thread, this is my smoker and the side walls are stamped to support the rack.

No worries about tear out if you screw into the sides . You would have to have alot of shear weight for a side attachment to fail , even with the thin metal .
Overhead ,, If you are going to use single hanging points , better safe than sorry . They make a fastener to work for that , but going all the way thru certainly works .
I've had the parts to add angle higher up on mine for awhile . Might do it today . I'll snap some pics if I do .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky