Accidental BBQ & bourbon trip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hillbillyrkstr

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jun 11, 2013
Hi folks,

Wasn't really sure where to post this so it's gonna end up in general discussion. The wife and I went to meet some friends for a vacation on St. George island last week. Since the good lord didn't give me wings I'll assume he doesn't want me to fly. With that said the car was packed up and we were headed down to Nashville since it was the half way point!

Was up at 2am to get to work by 4am for a half day. Left Michigan at 8am Friday with the first destination the Woodford Reserve distillery in Versailles Kentucky! Woodford Reserve has become one of my go to bourbons the past few years so I was excited to visit this distillery as I've never been. Arrived around 2pm.

Standing in one of the rickhouses at Woodford Reserve surrounded by thousands of barrels of delicious bourbon!

With this bourbon trail visit and tour checked off my list it was time to get to Nashville. Arrived around 830pm. Checked into the hotel and after a bit of rest we headed down to Broadway where one of my favorite BBQ spots has opened a new place.

Martins BBQ Joint is my favorite BBQ spot. I use to eat at the nolansville one, then at the far side of Nashville one, and now I've been to the one in downtown Nashville. Unfortunately by the time I was walking in they were just closing but they have an upstairs beer garden so we went upstairs and had a few whole hog pulled Pork sandwiches before hitting the Nashville honkey to make.

Martins BBQ Joint downtown Smashville

This place is HUGE! The upstairs has a stage for live bands, and all the booze and BBQ you could want. Not to mention 4 whole hog pits! Wish I had more pics for y'all but I wasn't planning on doing a thread on this trip.

Up the best morning early with plans of getting to the island asap. That's until I realized we'd be passing this place while passing through Alabama!

Big Bob Gibsons BBQ, Decatur Alabama.

Now this wasn't planned so again excuse my lack of pics. I've seen this place and it's owner in plenty of BBQ shows so when my wife was googling BBQ spots in bama to eat while I was driving and named a bunch I chose this one. I was excited to try this BBQ spot and see what the big deal was.

Eating plenty of BBQ in Nashville in the past I knew I liked white sauce and I've heard Big Bobs had good white sauce. Well it's true. The white sauce was great!

My wife and I split some kind of all BBQ plater and the white sauce on the smoked turkey was fantastic. Probably the best smoked turkey I've had at a restaurant. The other thing that really stood out was the slaw. It was a vinager slaw but it was basically minced, and it was real sweet. Never had it like that before and it was great.

Ribs were good but they were wet and that's not my style. Pork was good but I can't say they compete with martins whole hog pulled pork, and the brisket was thick cut, chunks and while it was good it didn't have the smokey flavor of the other meats and reminded me of pot roast. Now I'm not ripping on them by any means. It was all good food! The turkey was great! Just some honest opinions.

All in all it was a great trip to big bobs that wasn't planned. On to St George!

Fishin' pole, and few drinks and the ocean. Life is good.

View from the beach house to the water.

Ok vacation was ending so it was time to boogie! Had a great time with our friends. Thanks St George Island! Left the island around 630am with dry rub ribs on my mind! Ate lunch around 3pm in Nashville.

Peg Leg Porker! Was waiting to eat these ribs again for almost 2 years!

The wife and I split a rack and it was back to the hotel to get a nap in before heading baxk to Broadway to drink it up at the honkey tonks.

Out the hotel door around 7 for dinner at Martins! We were pretty tired and still full from the ribs at our late lunch so we split a brisket plate and hit the bars the rest of the night.

Legends Corner

Legends is right across the intersection from Bridgestone arena where the Merle Haggard tribute concert was happening. Wish I would have know I'd have loved to check that out. I don't plan much in advance. Kinda fly by the seat of my pants.

Pic from a bar on Broadway of the strip.

Up the next morning early to head to the Makers Mark distillery. Now I've been here a couple times but it's my favorite bourbon (Makers 46) and they only offer 46 cask strength (private select) at the distillery.

Here's the bottle I stopped in Loretta Ky for. Hand dipped by yours truly!

On the way back to the freeway I stopped at the Heaven Hill, and Jim Beam distilleries again. Been to both multiple times.

Some bottle I bought on the trip. Woodford Rye (which might be my new favorite bourbon), A Kentucky Derby Woodford bottle, and Knob Creek rye.

I'm a rye whiskey lover and that Woodford rye is the best I've ever had! I have never seen it here in Michigan and boy I wish I had bought a few more bottles. Haven't tried the Knob Creek rye, or the makers 46 private select yet.

Well that's the trip. I'd love to hear what y'all think of these BBQ or bourbon spots! And let me know of any I passed by cause I'll be making this trip again!

Thanks for looking

I haven't cracked open the knob Creek rye I bought at the beam distillery yet. But I did open the Woodford rye I purchased on the trip and I think it's my new favorite. Stuff is lights out!

This trip was pretty fun.

A few years back the wife and I road tripped to dallas and stopped in KC for the night. We went to Arthur Bryant's and I can't say enough about that's places bbq. Then in dallas I had the best brisket I've ever had at lockharts BBQ. Ate it 3 days in a row! We then set off for Nashville and ate at martins and peg leg as well. I can't help it I love those two Nashville spots. Stopped at Makers and beam on the way home as well. Hoping to hit bulleit bourbon next year.

GREAT POST! 
points.gif

Those neon signs on Broadway haven't changed since I went to school in Nashville 40-44 years ago.  That tower thing sure wasn't there though! 

Last edited:
The neon is growing no boundaries. I feel like every year I go down to Broadway it grows. The tower thing is Bridgestone arena where the predators play. That's on one end by the Ryman and on the other end is the stadium where the titans play.

But Nashville BBQ is fantastic. If it's been 40 years since you've been there you need to go back

That sounds like a lot of fun and definitely my kind of road trip!  Planned out stops always bore me, I like the way you did it, just stop when it looks good or sounds like fun!

Hi folks,

Wasn't really sure where to post this so it's gonna end up in general discussion. The wife and I went to meet some friends for a vacation on St. George island last week. Since the good lord didn't give me wings I'll assume he doesn't want me to fly. With that said the car was packed up and we were headed down to Nashville since it was the half way point!

Was up at 2am to get to work by 4am for a half day. Left Michigan at 8am Friday with the first destination the Woodford Reserve distillery in Versailles Kentucky! Woodford Reserve has become one of my go to bourbons the past few years so I was excited to visit this distillery as I've never been. Arrived around 2pm.

Standing in one of the rickhouses at Woodford Reserve surrounded by thousands of barrels of delicious bourbon!

With this bourbon trail visit and tour checked off my list it was time to get to Nashville. Arrived around 830pm. Checked into the hotel and after a bit of rest we headed down to Broadway where one of my favorite BBQ spots has opened a new place.

Martins BBQ Joint is my favorite BBQ spot. I use to eat at the nolansville one, then at the far side of Nashville one, and now I've been to the one in downtown Nashville. Unfortunately by the time I was walking in they were just closing but they have an upstairs beer garden so we went upstairs and had a few whole hog pulled Pork sandwiches before hitting the Nashville honkey to make.

Martins BBQ Joint downtown Smashville

This place is HUGE! The upstairs has a stage for live bands, and all the booze and BBQ you could want. Not to mention 4 whole hog pits! Wish I had more pics for y'all but I wasn't planning on doing a thread on this trip.

Up the best morning early with plans of getting to the island asap. That's until I realized we'd be passing this place while passing through Alabama!

Big Bob Gibsons BBQ, Decatur Alabama.

Now this wasn't planned so again excuse my lack of pics. I've seen this place and it's owner in plenty of BBQ shows so when my wife was googling BBQ spots in bama to eat while I was driving and named a bunch I chose this one. I was excited to try this BBQ spot and see what the big deal was.

Eating plenty of BBQ in Nashville in the past I knew I liked white sauce and I've heard Big Bobs had good white sauce. Well it's true. The white sauce was great!

My wife and I split some kind of all BBQ plater and the white sauce on the smoked turkey was fantastic. Probably the best smoked turkey I've had at a restaurant. The other thing that really stood out was the slaw. It was a vinager slaw but it was basically minced, and it was real sweet. Never had it like that before and it was great.

Ribs were good but they were wet and that's not my style. Pork was good but I can't say they compete with martins whole hog pulled pork, and the brisket was thick cut, chunks and while it was good it didn't have the smokey flavor of the other meats and reminded me of pot roast. Now I'm not ripping on them by any means. It was all good food! The turkey was great! Just some honest opinions.

All in all it was a great trip to big bobs that wasn't planned. On to St George!

Fishin' pole, and few drinks and the ocean. Life is good.

View from the beach house to the water.

Ok vacation was ending so it was time to boogie! Had a great time with our friends. Thanks St George Island! Left the island around 630am with dry rub ribs on my mind! Ate lunch around 3pm in Nashville.

Peg Leg Porker! Was waiting to eat these ribs again for almost 2 years!

The wife and I split a rack and it was back to the hotel to get a nap in before heading baxk to Broadway to drink it up at the honkey tonks.

Out the hotel door around 7 for dinner at Martins! We were pretty tired and still full from the ribs at our late lunch so we split a brisket plate and hit the bars the rest of the night.

Legends Corner

Legends is right across the intersection from Bridgestone arena where the Merle Haggard tribute concert was happening. Wish I would have know I'd have loved to check that out. I don't plan much in advance. Kinda fly by the seat of my pants.

Pic from a bar on Broadway of the strip.

Up the next morning early to head to the Makers Mark distillery. Now I've been here a couple times but it's my favorite bourbon (Makers 46) and they only offer 46 cask strength (private select) at the distillery.

Here's the bottle I stopped in Loretta Ky for. Hand dipped by yours truly!

On the way back to the freeway I stopped at the Heaven Hill, and Jim Beam distilleries again. Been to both multiple times.

Some bottle I bought on the trip. Woodford Rye (which might be my new favorite bourbon), A Kentucky Derby Woodford bottle, and Knob Creek rye.

I'm a rye whiskey lover and that Woodford rye is the best I've ever had! I have never seen it here in Michigan and boy I wish I had bought a few more bottles. Haven't tried the Knob Creek rye, or the makers 46 private select yet.

Well that's the trip. I'd love to hear what y'all think of these BBQ or bourbon spots! And let me know of any I passed by cause I'll be making this trip again!

Thanks for looking

The Woodford Rye is available in state and your local shop should be able to order it for you. We carry it where I work but it may cost a little more then other stores.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky