ABTs- My first SMF posted smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sonnyseattle

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 17, 2014
Washington's wetside
To me, the name is weird, and not apropos at all since all three words in the name have nothing to do with the final product. Maybe if ghost peppers were involved? I’ll just call them ABT’s going forward.

I’ve been a reader here on SMF, rather than a poster, for some time now. I gain knowledge by reading more, posting less. To everyone on this site, I owe a great debt of gratitude. My ABT smoke today would not have worked without my distilling the collected wisdom I’ve read on this specific subject over the past few days. Hell, none of my smokes would have worked without you, the SMF community. After three or four pork rib smokes I’m a genius, according to my family and friends who don’t know everything I’ve learned is contained right here on this site.

My first smoker, a Masterbuilt Sportsman Elite 44’ gasser is only six months old and has about six smokes on it. I chose it for the capacity (one day I WILL fill it to capacity) and the glass door. I can watch what’s happening without opening, as long as I keep the window clean.

This was my first attempt at ABT’s, but I know what I like. The Pacific Northwest is seafood country, but I didn’t have enough confidence to risk precious Dungeness crab here. Yeah, I cheated, and went for canned lump crab. Two 6-ounce cans of crab to 16 ounces of warmed Philadelphia cream cheese, plus a generous tablespoon of garlic powder were mixed in a bowl to create the filling.

Besides jalapenos, I also had some of those small, sweet bell peppers on hand. Technically, those would compose Sweet Buffalo Turds, or SBT’s, right?

Since this was an experiment (as is anything I do on the smoker), I decided to try a couple of different things. I cut of the tops of some of the peppers, cored them, and then filled them with the cream cheese and crab mixture. My second method was to split some. After cutting in half, I cleaned out the innards and slapped on some crabby cheese. However, since I had more surface area to work with this is where I got a wee bit creative. On top of the spread I added a chunk of raw shrimp then wrapped the works in bacon.

For some of the jalapenos I left in a bit of membrane and a few seeds for added heat. This made a notable, and pleasant, difference. The mild heat, rather than overpowering, was complimentary.

On to the smoker at 250-275 with hickory chips in the pan. Two hours later three people devoured everything before they even cooled.

While the experiment was successful, an AAR is always required. I would indeed change a few things for the next batch.

1. Go for the Dungeness crab. It is so much more flavorful than the canned (I assume) blue crab. We can get whole Dungeness for $5.99 a pound right now.

2. More crab, less cream cheese. The ratio was out of balance so much of the crab flavor was lost.

3. Depending on those eating, look at adding more heat. The jalapeno guts can be mixed in to the cream cheese for those wanting it hotter.

4. Consider replacing the shrimp with bay scallops. I also think mussels or oysters would work well. This is just to change up flavors.There are as many ways to make ABT’s as there are bullets in my gun safe. This was just one way, one time.

Please feel free to critique or offer any advice that would help me be more successful going forward. Smoking is totally new to me and I consider myself a student. My skin is thick, so feel free to be blunt.

They look great nice write up.Sounds like they were tasty Thanks for sharing

Richie

Owe one more thing

congratulation_graphics_2.gif

Well, for your first smoke you sure hit it out of the park.
  1. Great qview. I really like your pictures.
  2. You took knowledge you picked up from the forums and made it your own by trying what you like.
  3. You advised how you would do it different next time.
  4. You have us all ideas of something new to try.
Sounds to me like you should post more often and that you deserve a point!

Disco

Well, for your first smoke you sure hit it out of the park.
  1. Great qview. I really like your pictures.
  2. You took knowledge you picked up from the forums and made it your own by trying what you like.
  3. You advised how you would do it different next time.
  4. You have us all ideas of something new to try.
Sounds to me like you should post more often and that you deserve a point!

Disco
Thank you, sir! Taking your advice, I'll work on documenting my smokey explorations.

Everything looks great. Made a quick batch yesterday while smoking cheese.

Everything you mention is good as an ABT filling. I wouldn't use anything except Dungeness crab when using crab as a filling.

For adding more heat usually what I will do is season some of them with chipotle Powder or chili powder. You can mix more if the membrane into the cheese but then they all will be hotter.

Besides seasfood, chorizo, sausage, little smokies all make good additions for fillers. Even pulled pork is tasty.

Looks awesome! Will have to try those with the Crab!  (Hubby says to rename them Atomic Crab Turds 
hit.gif
) Was wondering about those little peppers! What a great idea!

Everything looks great. Made a quick batch yesterday while smoking cheese.

Everything you mention is good as an ABT filling. I wouldn't use anything except Dungeness crab when using crab as a filling.

For adding more heat usually what I will do is season some of them with chipotle Powder or chili powder. You can mix more if the membrane into the cheese but then they all will be hotter.

Besides seasfood, chorizo, sausage, little smokies all make good additions for fillers. Even pulled pork is tasty.
Thanks, Dirtsailor. I'm happy to see another PNWer here. I 100% agree with you on using Dungeness next time. However, I didn't want to ruin any of that precious crustacean  in case my first attempt went up in smoke, so to speak.

Looks awesome! Will have to try those with the Crab!  (Hubby says to rename them Atomic Crab Turds 
hit.gif
) Was wondering about those little peppers! What a great idea!
For your "ACTs" I suggest upgrading from the fairly tasteless canned crab. Those little peppers are something we usually have around for salads and such. They were gooood!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky