ABTs? and to soak or not to soak

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thesmokindogs

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 12, 2016
Sloan, NY - suburb of Buffalo
Hi everybody! Sorry I wasn't very active this season - had a lot of things good and bad going on. I've only fired up my smoker twice. Hope everyone has had a great summer and fall so far.

First question. I just made my 3rd batch of bacon wrapped jalapeño poppers per Jeff's awesome recipe. I didn't use shrimp this time though which cut the cook time by about an hour. Why are they called "ABTs"?

My other question is about whether or not to soak the wood chips. Today is the first time I have used dry chips. Ordinarily I soak them for about 30 minutes before adding them. By not soaking them today (because that's what the recipe says) I found that I went through a lot more of them but I haven't noticed any really discernible difference in the quality of the final product. Is this one of those totally subjective practices? Just curious.

Here's some pics of my peppers. We did 5+ dozen peppers which yields 10 dozen poppers

Thanks!
20191021_122932.jpg
20191021_135323.jpg
20191021_142939.jpg

20191021_122932.jpg 20191021_135323.jpg 20191021_142939.jpg

Wet wood chips don't make Smoke until they dry out. You want chips to burn up. This gives the best flavor. Switch to Chunks to get longer burns between reloads...JJ

Wood doesn't absorb water, that's why they make boats out of it.

Jcam222 has the link.

Wet wood steams until it can burn. This will alter the temperature you are trying to achieve, unless you factor that in.

Reactions: Fueling Around
Nice batch of turds and good question where the term came from.

Soaking chips or wood skewers is a waste of time in my opinion. Previous posters said it well. Water makes steam that screws the process.

#eddiememphis
Wooden boats do absorb water to a degree. That's why when a wood boat has been out of water and dried out, it leaks as the proverbial sieve when returned to water until it swells up again.

Your ABT's look great! The other guys got you covered on the wood chips. Looks like you have a propane rig I would second the wood chunks. I use chunks in mine and works great!

You can play around with the filling and put whatever you want in there with no real difference on the time. I like using thin bacon and smoking at 250 for 2 hours.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky