ABT using sweet peppers?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mole177

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 28, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Would I be able to use the general filling (cream cheese, ched cheese, etc) with sweet peppers?

What's the rough estimate these guys stay in the smoker? What temp should I be going for?

oh and i'll wrap it in bacon!!!

if anyone is not sure of what peppers i'll be using, it's here:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11340236&whse=BD_563&Ne=5000000%204000000&eCat=BD_563|11123|11288&N=4036595%205000106&Mo=62&No=34&Nr=P_CatalogName:BD_563&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=bdo

You can use anything...I use cubanelles all the time, and poblanos as well. Stuff with cheese, and/or sausage, wrap in bacon, about 2 hours, ooo-la-la.

Yep the options are limitless, about 2-2 1/2 hours, and always wrap in thin bacon, it will get crispy.

I have used lots of different kinds of peppers and they all seem to work well. As Al said they take a couple hours depending on smoker temps basically when the bacon is done to your tastes its ready

Yup just stuff away and wrap in thin bacon and plan on about 2- 2 1/2 hours  

If you can find them near you, try the sweet mini bell peppers.  They work great for ABT's!

I buy them at the grocery store in a 2# bag.  Costco sells them in a 1.5# plastic tray

It's a mix of red, yellow, and orange peppers that are about the size of a jalapeno, only they are sweet like bell peppers.

b4d85bfe_26603b.jpg

If you can find them near you, try the sweet mini bell peppers.  They work great for ABT's!

I buy them at the grocery store in a 2# bag.  Costco sells them in a 1.5# plastic tray

It's a mix of red, yellow, and orange peppers that are about the size of a jalapeno, only they are sweet like bell peppers.

b4d85bfe_26603b.jpg

That is what i picked up, different package, but same produce.

Do i get the smoker up to normal temp ? or lower?  Is there a way I can tell it's done?

Yeah I use the mini bells for my wife too. Usually a cream cheese & monterey + rub mixture & wrap in bacon. Like Al & Jerry said when the bacons done they're done. Let us know what you did & don't forget the qview!!

b4d85bfe_26603b.jpg
I like to use these peppers too when I can find them.  I use cream cheese and a white cheddar in mine.

I see no reason you couldn't use any pepper you can eat.  I don't think those sweet bells would be Atomic, though.  I think you would just have BT's.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky