• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

ABT using sweet peppers?

mole177

Fire Starter
Joined Nov 28, 2010
Would I be able to use the general filling (cream cheese, ched cheese, etc) with sweet peppers?

What's the rough estimate these guys stay in the smoker? What temp should I be going for?

oh and i'll wrap it in bacon!!!

if anyone is not sure of what peppers i'll be using, it's here:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11340236&whse=BD_563&Ne=5000000%204000000&eCat=BD_563|11123|11288&N=4036595%205000106&Mo=62&No=34&Nr=P_CatalogName:BD_563&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&topnav=bdo

justpassingthru

Smoking Fanatic
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 7, 2009
Go for it!

I use bell peppers cut into 1/4's for my family that can't handle heat and they love 'em.

Gene

porked

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Apr 2, 2009
You can use anything...I use cubanelles all the time, and poblanos as well. Stuff with cheese, and/or sausage, wrap in bacon, about 2 hours, ooo-la-la.

SmokinAl

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Jun 22, 2009
Yep the options are limitless, about 2-2 1/2 hours, and always wrap in thin bacon, it will get crispy.

pineywoods

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Joined Mar 22, 2008
I have used lots of different kinds of peppers and they all seem to work well. As Al said they take a couple hours depending on smoker temps basically when the bacon is done to your tastes its ready

scarbelly

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Jul 26, 2009
Yup just stuff away and wrap in thin bacon and plan on about 2- 2 1/2 hours  

ellymae

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 21, 2009
Those are exactly what I use and they work great.

czarcastic

Smoke Blower
Joined Jan 17, 2011
If you can find them near you, try the sweet mini bell peppers.  They work great for ABT's!

I buy them at the grocery store in a 2# bag.  Costco sells them in a 1.5# plastic tray

It's a mix of red, yellow, and orange peppers that are about the size of a jalapeno, only they are sweet like bell peppers.

mole177

Fire Starter
Joined Nov 28, 2010
If you can find them near you, try the sweet mini bell peppers.  They work great for ABT's!

I buy them at the grocery store in a 2# bag.  Costco sells them in a 1.5# plastic tray

It's a mix of red, yellow, and orange peppers that are about the size of a jalapeno, only they are sweet like bell peppers.

That is what i picked up, different package, but same produce.

Do i get the smoker up to normal temp ? or lower?  Is there a way I can tell it's done?

realtorterry

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 5, 2009
Yeah I use the mini bells for my wife too. Usually a cream cheese & monterey + rub mixture & wrap in bacon. Like Al & Jerry said when the bacons done they're done. Let us know what you did & don't forget the qview!!

rednecksmoker

Joined Feb 16, 2011

I like to use these peppers too when I can find them.  I use cream cheese and a white cheddar in mine.

venture

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Aug 1, 2008
I see no reason you couldn't use any pepper you can eat.  I don't think those sweet bells would be Atomic, though.  I think you would just have BT's.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.