ABT jalapeno substitute?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bigsmoken

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Sep 11, 2013
Canon City Colorado
So this next weekend I am firing up Big John with the new cold smoke generator I made...(works wonders if I may) and I am smoking up a 9lb pork butt and was gonna do some ABTs with it but the wife is a bit on the allergic side of jalapenos so I was wondering what kind of pepper would be a good substitute.

At my grocery store they have the red and orange sweet peppers (not positive of the names) but they are almost the same shape as the jalapenos. Good luck dude. If your trying to beat the heat, you can soak the jalapenos in sprite. Works like a charm.

I'm not trying to beat the heat its just the my wife is allergic to jalapenos for some reason but not any others....hell she even got sprayed in the face with pepperspray for her work and nothing happened so I just have to find a different kind of pepper that's all and I have never done ABT's because of that but I decided if I can find another pepper that would work as good as a jalapeno then yayyyyyyy

At my grocery store they have the red and orange sweet peppers (not positive of the names) but they are almost the same shape as the jalapenos. Good luck dude. If your trying to beat the heat, you can soak the jalapenos in sprite. Works like a charm.
I was gonna say almost the same thing. At my store they come in a bag that's about 10" tall by 4" wide. They look just like jalapenos but are supposed to be sweet. Not sure if they're the same family or not, so the allergy might still be an issue.

If you're really not concerned about heat, Habaneros would do the trick as well. Just make sure to warn your guests.

For something a little bigger, Poblanos would work. You could also cut them into strips the size of jalapenos. I really like Poblanos, and usually use them in place of green bell pepper in any recipe that calls for it.

I have used the sweet peppers(yellow.red,orange) others are talking about... Look for a bag with the biggest peppers as they tend to run small and are a little harder to prepare.. they really are pretty good ... they are sweet bell peppers

Last edited:
so I ended up using the sweet peppers that Im hearing so much about and the wife loved them so much I had to make them twice in one week...thanks for the advice.

Bigsmoken , check you local big Grocer , they usually have little Peppers(Chiles) that  are colored , Red , Yellow , orange and so on... They are not hot and are good for "BBT's ( bland Buffalo Turds). You should not have the day after problem.

Have fun and . . .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky