ABT’S , I’ve never seen them done this way before

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Al, You remember how long you smoked the jalapeno's? I gonna try this with chicken to take to river tomorrow.
They took about 4-5 hours @ 180. I really just waited until the bacon got crispy. However we like some crunch to the jalapeño’s, so if you like them more done I would use a higher temp. Good luck!
Al

That pork roast looks perfect, Al. I'm sure going to try out your method for those ABTs--great idea.
Gary
Thanks Gary!
You can really stuff the crap out of them & they still don’t leak all the cheese out. We have been doing a bunch of these little roasts, their cheap & oh so good!!
Al

So the neighbors were coming over for Memorial Day & requested ABT’S. So I wanted to try something new that just came to me while I was walking early in the morning. I started by carving out a piece so the jap looked like a canoe. The reason I did it this way was because the japs were too big to stand up in my holder, & every time I make a boat & wrap it in bacon, a lot of the cheese leaks out. So hence a new approach!
View attachment 666711
Next it got filled with a combo of hot Italian sausage & Cabot seriously sharp cheddar.
View attachment 666712
Now the cool part, the top goes back on.
View attachment 666714
Next the bacon wrap.
View attachment 666715
I also did a pork roast & some beans.
View attachment 666716
View attachment 666717
Into the RT on extreme smoke.
View attachment 666718
The ABT’S are done, but the roast needs a bit more time.
View attachment 666719
So we just started snacking on the ABT’S.
View attachment 666720
Notice the dog, he is a 150# Great Dane and he is definitely eyeing that ABT!
View attachment 666721
I accomplished what I set out to do, and that was to keep the filling in the ABT’S & it worked.
View attachment 666723
The pork was tender & juicy, I let it get away from me, & took the IT to 150, but it was still oozing juice.
View attachment 666724

The beans weren’t too shabby either. All in all we had a great Memorial Day.
Good food, good friends & plenty of adult beverages!
Thanks for stopping by folks!!
Al
love the "jap caps" if you can find big enough peppers. Mine always leak and I've never bought an ABT rack.

Reactions: SmokinAl
Thought I would bring this thread back up for Labor Day weekend. I really like doing this way but it does add some extra heat with using the whole pepper.
Thanks Brian, I think we will make a few ourselves!
Al
Al

Everything looks really good.
Thanks Rick, love your new avatar!
Al
love the "jap caps" if you can find big enough peppers. Mine always leak and I've never bought an ABT rack.
Give this a try, mine didn’t leak at all!
Al
Like the boat idea Al

Warren
Thanks Warren!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky