A YUGE Prime Chuck Shoulder...

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
EDIT: this is the larger roast. I cooked the smaller one yesterday and gave it to the wood guy - he said he and his family loved it!

Beyond fantastic - THE tenderest piece of beef I have ever put a knife to - like butter. Absolutely stunning good!

After a half hour rest in foil and under towels:
IMG_1663.JPG

And, the slices...
IMG_1664.JPG
This was phenomenal - best one yet!!! The sandwiches are going to be stellar!!!

Last edited:
My goodness !!!! I don't think it would make it to the bread .
That's just perfect . I love it could out of the fridge the next morning too . Sprinkled with a bit of salt . Man that looks great .

My goodness !!!! I don't think it would make it to the bread .
That's just perfect . I love it could out of the fridge the next morning too . Sprinkled with a bit of salt . Man that looks great .
You must be my long lost brother - I do the same thing!

It really surprised me - I think that injecting it with Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce and letting it marinate for 2-days must have really tenderized it beyond normal. Knife went right through it and the chew and taste was simply awesome. These chuck shoulders are some real sleepers I would have one of these over any prime rib with no hesitation whatsoever.

And the mesquite cook on the spit - just a magical aroma.

I am off the the pharmacy to pick up an Rx.

Reactions: chopsaw
Mesquite for everything here .
These chuck shoulders are some real sleepers I would have one of these over any prime rib with no hesitation whatsoever.
Me too . It goes , chuck , rib , loin on the animal . That section of the chuck that transitions into the rib is fantastic .

Reactions: Retired Spook
Mesquite for everything here .

Me too . It goes , chuck , rib , loin on the animal . That section of the chuck that transitions into the rib is fantastic .
I've been trying to figure out precisely where that muscle (the heart that I roast) lies on a beef - but no luck whatsoever! Is it part of the clod??? Is it part of a chuck roll???

A reasonable person might think a clear illustration of such a thing might not be a great deal to ask for! :emoji_sunglasses:

Last edited:
It really surprised me - I think that injecting it with Lea & Perrins Worcestershire sauce and letting it marinate for 2-days must have really tenderized it beyond normal. Knife went right through it and the chew and taste was simply awesome. These chuck shoulders are some real sleepers I would have one of these over any prime rib with no hesitation whatsoever.
Sounds really great.
I think more people are into spit roasting these days, and with good reason. Sometimes the old ways may be better than the new fangled ones.
But for some reason, I cannot bring myself to inject meat with stuff. In fact, usually all I put on beef is salt (except for when I put on more).

Sounds really great.
I think more people are into spit roasting these days, and with good reason. Sometimes the old ways may be better than the new fangled ones.
But for some reason, I cannot bring myself to inject meat with stuff. In fact, usually all I put on beef is salt (except for when I put on more).
I am no expert but my opinion is that the slow, even heat of spit-roasting just works like magic on beef, and the wood-fire just adds a flavor that cannot be matched - especially with mesquite. Those Neanderthals were smart!

I carved a few slices for this morning's roast-beef and egg breakfast and I am still stunned how tender that roast is (I am sure that the vinegar in the Worcestershire sauce tenderized the meat more than the prime chuck shoulder already was) - like butter. However, 2-days marinating in pure Worcestershire sauce (liberally injected) is quite noticeable - not overpowering or detrimental - but noticeable, and almost a sweetness to it that I noticed on a couple of chuck eye steaks I marinated in Worcestershire sauce for 2-days, a few weeks ago.

A schedule conflict forced me to delay both cooks (the smaller roast for the wood guy and the larger roast for the sandwich-fest) by a day. I would not marinate for 2-days again if I did not have to, and I would revert to 50% Worcestershire sauce and 50% no-salt beef broth in the future, but conversely, it will be awesome for sandwiches after a 2-day rest in the fridge.

Tenderest beef I ever ate.

Hi. To find out where on the cow the cut/heart comes from, I suggest going to this page of 'Girls can grill' site. She has experience with butchering and knows of what she speaks. There is an e-mail icon in top left where you can send a question. I'm sure she can answer. Good luck!

It shows the primal cuts being butchered. interesting page.

The sandwichfest went down great! The wood guy, his daughter, and a neighbor all enjoyed their sandwiches (I should have taken photos but I didn't - oh well). The wood guy ate his entire sandwich, again, but everyone else could only eat half (including me) and took half home for dinner!

The roast beef was very good but as I stated previously, I would NOT inject /marinate it for 2-days in Worcestershire sauce again - I prefer 1-day in 50% Worcestershire sauce / 50% unsalted beef stock. 2-days of pure Worcestershire sauce seems to sweeten the beef up a little bit more than I prefer - but it was the flat-out tenderest piece of beef I ever ate.

And, now that the warm weather is moving in I will likely be cooking less because I am just no fan of the summertime here in the ninth circle of hell - plus the doc put me on Ozempic for my blood sugar and that stuff makes ya lose your appetite so I just haven't been that hungry much! The upside is folks lose weight from the stuff so I am looking forward to that.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky