A warning if you MIcrowave you AMNPS pellets to dry them

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Went to retrieve the hot pellets and found a small area in the center black and smoldering. I guess it could have gotten worse but the real issue was the smoke stunk up the wife's microwave box and vent even more than the pellets do anyway. An upset wife is not a good thing--especially mine. I now nuke for less time.

One minute...Stir...One more minute in the microwave is plenty for me. 

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter.  I have had no issues either drying or using my pellets implementing this method.  No point in risking a catastrophe.

Good luck,

John

Last edited:
I used to dry pellets all the time....  Not any longer...   Seems air flow was my problem, and others also....   elevating the AMNPS to allow for good air flow from below , seems to have solved all my "no stay lit" problems with the AMNPS...

Morning everybody. I have the perfect solution for the microwave issue! Why don't you guys move to Nevada, where the average humidity is between 12 and 20% year around. We try to find ways to add moisture to our air.
icon_biggrin.gif

That being said I'm going to keep a reference to this thread cause this year in Reno who's average rainfall is just under 7 1/2 inches per year we have almost 9 1/2 inches in 2 1/2 months.
icon_sad.gif

I used to dry pellets all the time....  Not any longer...   Seems air flow was my problem, and others also....   elevating the AMNPS to allow for good air flow from below , seems to have solved all my "no stay lit" problems with the AMNPS...

Hey Dave...I think you have just solved my issue with snuffed out pellets.  Thanks for the suggestion.  Next time I use my tray I will try your solution and see if it works for me as well.

John

I'm just a dumb @$$ed ol' retired pipefighter, so what I know about this wouldn't fill a thimble. There's my disclaimer.

However... I keep a log book of all my activities in my smoke house and going back through my notes, I have to come to some conclusions about this.

I tried the microwave thing and didn't notice much of a difference.

I also tried filling a 1/2 size baking sheet with the pellets and 'roasting' them at 250* in the kitchen oven for a coupla' hours. After taking them out of the oven and still hot, I packaged them in Ball jars.

The one thing that keeps coming up in my notes is a direct correlation between the current humidity and smoke time. If the humidity is low, I'm lucky to get 8 hours out of a single tray. If the humidity is relatively high, I could get as much as 12 hours.

I quit worrying about how to dry the pellets. I make sure the pellets will stay lit and support a flame for several minutes before I blow it out and put it in the cabinet. I also check on it several times in the first hour or so to make sure it's still smoldering.

As has been mentioned, I also believe good air flow is critical. The pissy little vent on the back of my 44 is useless as brakes on a boat. I cut a 6 inch black steel stove pipe into the top of the cabinet and installed a damper in it. I then added 6 feet of stack to that. It drafts now.

That's my story an' I'm stickin' to it.

I use my heat gun to light them, but before I put the gun to the highest setting, I use the lower setting to preheat the pellets. This approach has the advantage that the gun not only heats the pellets, but because it is blowing super-hot air over the pellets, at close range, that fast moving scorching-hot air quickly carries away the moisture.

Here is a video I made that shows my technique:

Reactions: daveomak
I used the microwave idea, until I noticed moisture on the plate underneath the pellets. So I put a paper towel underneath, and that was better, but still the towel was damp, and I thought that I could do better. So now before a smoke, I just measure out what I need and spread them out on a pan in the oven for about 20 minutes at 250°, like others have mentioned. Works like a charm for me.

I use my heat gun to light them, but before I put the gun to the highest setting, I use the lower setting to preheat the pellets. This approach has the advantage that the gun not only heats the pellets, but because it is blowing super-hot air over the pellets, at close range, that fast moving scorching-hot air quickly carries away the moisture.

Here is a video I made that shows my technique:

Now I know how I can use my heat gun. Great idea for drying and firing the pellets all in one. Also like the air intake mod. I had read about leaving the chip loader open, but your post is the first time I read about opening the fire box inside the smoker. Makes total sense, great stuff.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky