A Traditional Old-Style Butcher....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nice SonnyE local hands on is much safer we use to buy a local farmers kids 4H project. We also raised our chickens pigs and other food. As I just said in another post the feed lot food is not safe look at all the recalls lately.

Warren

Last edited:
Reactions: SonnyE
Great Video, Sonny!!
Brings back memories too.
Around here there are small family Butcher Shops all over the place, since I live in a PA Dutch area, and very close to the biggest Amish Area.
When I was a Kid, 2 of my Buddies & I used to go to one of the local Butcher Shops (Barringer's), and watch them process Beef & Pork. They had a special Bench against the one wall for us to sit & watch, without getting in the way. We watched from bringing one at a time in the chute, and dropping him, to hoisting, to bleeding, to all the cutting going on, just like in this video.
Yup Thanks for the memories!!
Like.

Bear

Great video, thanks for posting this. My first real summer job, at 16, was with a small butcher, working as his helper. He processed local farmers cattle and I learned a lot, it was a great summer job. I still have a scar on my left thumb from that job.

My Daughter up in Washington goes and buys her Bacon and some other meats from a Farm out further on the Peninsula.
We went out and I got some of their smoked Ham steaks. She got several pounds of Bacon.
I'm hording a package in the fridge freezer.
Nothing like Meat where you can see how it is raised and handled. Unless you can do it yourself.

When I was teaching, my meat supplier was a father, son owned operation. They had the slaughter house with a small store. They also supplied many area restaurants as well as butchering for customers with small farm/homesteads. Everything was processed by hand. Beef was Dry Aged to your specification. I got to see a 60 day side of beef that looked and smelled pretty funky. The own explained that the customer gets one 60 day side a year. There is significant trim loss but even raw, the boning knife goes through the meat with little resistance.
I really miss that place and their great custom cut anything you want...JJ

Great video I would really like to learn how to butcher meat myself. I'm slowly working on getting set up to raise our own cows, pigs, and chickens. We are already set up to grow our own produce also have a small orchard started and a few hundred blue berry bushes. It's been a slow process getting everything ready but I'm slowly getting there.

Nice video Sonny, very informative. I'm not sure I have it in me to raise an animal for slaughter, but thank god there are those that can. I get queasy watching them skin deer at our local mom-n-pop store.

Point for sure.
Chris

p.s. I was kinda of expecting Rocky to come out of the walk-in.

I got to see a 60 day side of beef that looked and smelled pretty funky.

After 60 days, I would imagine so... Gimme a clothes pin.

Great video I would really like to learn how to butcher meat myself. I'm slowly working on getting set up to raise our own cows, pigs, and chickens.

It's a job alright. We use to put up two deer and two antelope each year in Wyoming. Filled our little mid-size freezer and kept us in meat for the year. A lot of work that has to be done when it is due.
But when we raised a Steer, and when our Pig was ready, we had the local Butcher do them.
We raised them, so we knew what went into them. But "contracted out" the hard part.

I'm not sure I have it in me to raise an animal for slaughter

I raised animals with respect. Like they were pets almost. Fed well, clean water, petted and scratched even.
But they were meat. And we told the kids they were meat. It was just a part of the purpose we had them.
Our goats were for milk and meat. Farming is hard work.
And I reached a point where I was doing it all, and burned out. Because it is a 24/7 job. The critters need you every day.
Makes it neigh impossible to get a day off.

Reactions: Tex1911
I cut meat for over 30 years, mostly from the rail for beef, hogs for custom cutting, pork from boxes, got into box beef in the 80's, not by choice. Loved every minute of it until the management became ridiculous, pushing higher and higher man-hour production past the point of being remotely achievable. But, I did what was pictured in the video day after day, 5-6 days a week, 10 hours a day.

The first time I tried "Fresh Meat" came from my friend, many moons ago. His kids were raising a hog for the Fair/Auction. Well, the pig grew bow-legged and they knew it would not sell. The kids didnt want to eat their pig so he asked me if I wanted it. Now, I was in no position to accept this pig, I did not live on a farm. He gave the number of a butcher and said he would even carry the pig over there. A few days later, the butcher called me asked me how I wanted it cut up. That was by far the best meat I ever tasted at that point. I could not buy meat from Kroger ever again.

Since that day, I have taken many pigs there to be processed and truly respect these guys for their talents. It really does make a difference where meat comes from. Since they were raising for the Fair, all animals were tested for steroids before selling so I knew what they fed this particular pig. Good stuff.

I agree with Sonny. Raise the animals with respect and when the time comes, do it humanely and that's all you can ask for. I have purchased a few hogs since that first day and taken to that same butcher and I dont know about yall, but this ol boy can tell a difference in the meat.

Good video Sonny. I'm glad to see the real butchers are still at it. If anybody has a local butcher, try to support them. I would be willing to bet you will like the results.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky