A tale of Smoking some Country Style Ribs and OMG...what is happening!!!????

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

radioyaz

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 10, 2014
Sonora, CA
So a funny, strange and scary thing happened to me on Sunday, If you would like to know more...by all means keep reading.

I am addicted to using my Smoker. Seriously I built my Mini WSM in July and have used it nearly every weekend since. I will start thinking about my weekend cooks on Tuesday or Wednesday, get on this forum for some research and recipe ideas, then head to the store on Friday for supplies for Saturday prep and Sunday smoke. And now that it is football season what a great reason to smoke something every Sunday! Not like I needed an excuse, right?

About a month ago, with the encouragement of my wife, I started using a smart-phone app called My Fitness Pal to help me lose some weight and help control my Type 2 diabetes, which is very borderline but still requires low medication. This App is very simple to use, you enter age/height/weight/activity level/goals for weight loss and helps track daily calorie intake, exercise and weight loss to help you reach the goals you set. And it is Free! I like Free!

I have been exercising more, when I can, usually an hour on the treadmill on Saturday and Sunday is what my schedule allows. And in one month I have lost about 15 lbs.

The funny thing is, I am not really dieting so much as being aware of HOW MUCH I EAT! I am mostly eating the same, but getting in more fruits and vegetables and paying attention to portion sizes when I eat "bad" stuff.

I knew though, that if I was going to enjoy smoking and eating great BBQ, I had to make sure I wasn't doing it to my own detriment. And so far it is working...

This past weekend, I decided to try another meat I hadn't taken a crack at...Country Style Ribs!!! Yum! These were the shoulder cut, no the loin cut.

Saturday night....they went into an overnight bath of apple juice...

Sunday morning....ready for some mustard and rub that I mixed up the night before

These are gonna be good.....

Let's get them out to the Mini.....

Look Ribs....the Smoker is waiting for you!!! You are gonna have fun together!!!

I put them on....then ate a banana and jumped on the treadmill while watching the early game. About 2 hours later...smoker is looking good, I resisted the urge to open it up for a picture.  I showered and turned on the afternoon game to watch my beloved Oakland Raiders stink it up yet again! I know, I know....Raiders Fan!?!?!  Ha Ha Ha....laugh it up..............................................................................are you done now?................No? OK................................................................................................................OK, that's enough.

Half time, some grapes and some delicious Turkey from the deli (if you haven't tried Boar's Head Low Sodium...it's awesome...no Nitrates, Nitrites and low salt....it's fantastic...tastes like Thanksgiving). 

So by now I am tired of watching the Raiders on their way to lose without having a beer or three.

Game ends and an old friend, that I miss often, calls me from Denver, so I decide to head outside and talk to him while having a cigar, watching the end of the game and tending to my ribs. I have saved up some calories to chow down and I am getting hungry.

I talk to my friend for about an hour, finish my cigar and take the ribs from their foil....OH Yeah, this is a forum about smoking meat...I did a 3-2-1 method on these....anyway, out of the foil onto the smoker for sauce.

I was about to take a photo of how great they looked....when BAMMMMM!.....THE BACKYARD STARTS SPINNING, I START SWEATING...WTH!!! I DON'T FEEL GOOD AT ALL. I wobble inside, take my blood sugar reading....YIKES....I am at 60, no wonder I don't feel .....oh no....I won't go into details...but yes I was now getting sick to my stomach.

My wife helps me to bed...lays me down....gets me a some sugar dissolved in water to try and get my blood sugar back up....it doesn't stay down, but now I am in bed with a bucket (I am trying not to gross you out).

She runs to the corner store to get some 7 up and crackers.

I take a few sips, eat a few crackers, back to the bucket...this routine keeps up for about 15 minutes..

Then I raise my head from the bucket...and I mumble to my vegetarian beauty of a bride...."Honey, will you do me a favor? Go out to the Smoker and flip my Ribs, put some sauce on the other side, put them on a plate and bring them in. I don't want them to dry out".....blahhh back in the bucket.

At that point my wife is very worried, but is laughing at me because even though I am barfing in a bucket...I am still thinking of my Ribs!!

Does that make me weird??

Anyway....my blood sugar stabilized shortly after, I was in no shape to eat those delicious Ribs....I ate some more crackers, sipped some more 7 UP and promptly went to sleep.

But I learned my lesson, don't hold off on eating just to enjoy a larger dinner, and drink more water....DUMB ASS!!!! (that is me talking to myself)

I think I was hit by the tri-fecta of not eating quite enough while drinking beer, not drinking enough water and the cigar having a little too much nicotine. Won't be making that mistake again.

Anyway....I wish I had more Q-views for you. The Ribs were perfect the next day, although reheated. I ate them fondly thinking of the night before and the enjoyment I had prepping and smoking them before "the Big Crash".

I will be Smoking another delectable treat this weekend, but will always remember to eat a larger lunch and keep myself hydrated!

Thanks for letting me share!

KEEP SMOKING and drink some water!

Yaz

Last edited:
Hi Yaz...sounds like it was scary there for a little while...glad you're OK though!  Even though we didn't see the finish, those CSR's look and sound great!  BTW, I use that Fitness Pal app too...pretty handy way to monitor healthy eating.

Take care of yourself...

Red

Hi Yaz...sounds like it was scary there for a little while...glad you're OK though!  Even though we didn't see the finish, those CSR's look and sound great!  BTW, I use that Fitness Pal app too...pretty handy way to monitor healthy eating.

Take care of yourself...

Red
Thanks Red.  Love your Avatar by the way! "I bet you get free bowl of Soup with a hat like this....Oh but it looks good on you though!"

Thanks Red.  Love your Avatar by the way! "I bet you get free bowl of Soup with a hat like this....Oh but it looks good on you though!"
biggrin.gif
  LOL thanks Yaz!!  One of my favorite movies...they don't make em like that any more.

Red

Yep, happens everytime when I don't eat right. You are not border line you are full blown diabetic.

A good sweet sauce on the ribs would have done the trick for ya.

That sugar low comes on fast doesn't it? I've had them while shopping and in the garage where I had to send the grandson in to get me some PB cups and he had to have a couple for himself. I had him bring my meter with him because I didn't have strength to get back to the house. A sugar low is causes more of a panic than when I have  COPD exasperations!

Glad you got through it.

Cool story, glad you are OK, that has happened to me several times not fun, The worst was I passed completely out woke up in the hospital. Dr had changed my med's, I hadn't eaten sugar dropped to low     and oh well you know the rest..   But I would have been the same way if I had something on the smoker.

Gary

Yaz

I'm glad to hear you made it. My wife was a very brittle diabetic and would have wild swings for up to low. You need to take care of that.

I know that you already know that so lets get back to the CSR. I understand about having to take care of the smoker when you are down and out.It is good your wife would take care of it while worrying about you. I look forward to seeing your next smoke,

Happy soken.

David

Yep, happens everytime when I don't eat right. You are not border line you are full blown diabetic.

A good sweet sauce on the ribs would have done the trick for ya.

That sugar low comes on fast doesn't it? I've had them while shopping and in the garage where I had to send the grandson in to get me some PB cups and he had to have a couple for himself. I had him bring my meter with him because I didn't have strength to get back to the house. A sugar low is causes more of a panic than when I have  COPD exasperations!

Glad you got through it.
Thanks Pellet. That was the first time that has happened to me...sure was freaky. I didn't think of the sauce...I could have just drank what I had with me at the smoker and laid down on the lawn.

Cool story, glad you are OK, that has happened to me several times not fun, The worst was I passed completely out woke up in the hospital. Dr had changed my med's, I hadn't eaten sugar dropped to low     and oh well you know the rest..   But I would have been the same way if I had something on the smoker.

Gary
Thanks Gary. The hospital, yikes! Good to know I am not crazy!

Yaz

I'm glad to hear you made it. My wife was a very brittle diabetic and would have wild swings for up to low. You need to take care of that.

I know that you already know that so lets get back to the CSR. I understand about having to take care of the smoker when you are down and out.It is good your wife would take care of it while worrying about you. I look forward to seeing your next smoke,

Happy soken.

David
Thanks David. My wife was seriously laughing at me while stroking my head...life is always funnier than television!

ROTF.gif
, Cool story (and glad you are OK) , and watch that Beer now that you are Borderline , that sugar don't work well...

Anyhow , glad the Q was OK and "no", you're not crazy , I'd even be worried about my "Cue".
roflmao.gif

Have fun and . . .

Dang it glad you are ok, sound like good ribs thou LOL Something I would do but just straight drinking :beercheer:

DS
Thanks

Hey Yaz

Glad to hear you're OK.

Those ribs look really good--lots of meat.

Not to seem insensitive, but the mental pic of you face down in the bucket and asking for ribs is hilarious

Gary

Thanks, It was hilarious, don't worry about the senditivity.

Croaking while smoking is NOT ALLOWED ! :68:

Glad you're OK.  Points :points1: for your Lady for mindin' the Q !
Thanks. Yes, she rules.

:ROTF , Cool story (and glad you are OK) , and watch that Beer now that you are Borderline , that sugar don't work well...

Anyhow , glad the Q was OK and "no", you're not crazy , I'd even be worried about my "Cue". :rotflmao:

Have fun and . . .
Thanks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky