A Spit-roasted Bottom Round with mushroom garlic gravy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Retired Spook

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Jun 28, 2022
I thought I would try a bottom round and see how it would come out on the spit...

Bought a small select bottom round from HEB (they do not carry choice).
IMG_1527.JPG

Dry brined it for 2-hours then injected it with 50/50 unsalted beef stock and Worcestershire sauce and let it rest in the fridge overnight. Gave it a rub of equal parts Kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper, granulated garlic granulated onion, and a dash of thyme. Cooked over mesquite until 115-120 degrees at the thickest part then wrapped it in foil and let it rest for an hour.

In the meantime I sauteed some fresh garlic chunks and mushrooms in butter, then made a roux, and added the dripping from the bottom round with some unsalted beef broth, some Kitchen Bouquet, the mushrooms and garlic and a good pinch of Kosher salt for a nice mushroom gravy - and ate too much!

IMG_1534.JPG

IMG_1535.JPG

Not as beefy as the chucks I roasted but excellent, nevertheless! For the low cost it is well worth it. Sam's Club sells whole Angus choice bottom round roasts for $4.19 / lb - about 20-lbs total. A few of them is in my future for sure!!!

I am going to give my smoker away! :emoji_laughing:

Not a fan of schrooms, but the rest of it looks great!!!

Point for sure
Chris

Reactions: Retired Spook
Shrooms are umami! Got a pound of shiitake in the 'fridge. I'm planning on smoking them tomorrow on my little SnS kettle before the games. Drizzled with garlic compound butter and dipped in Tzatziki sauce.

Fantastic ! I spun a center cut sirloin today . Won't slice until tomorrow .
Yours looks great . Perfect doneness for me .

I have a bottom round going on the spinner later today. I was gonna make sammiches, but that mushroom gravy looks killer.

Looks awesome.

For you mushroom haters, I get it. It’s a texture thing for me, but I eat them anyway because the umami is so nice. If it’s a texture issue for you, know that you can get(or make) dried mushroom powder for all the flavor benefits without having to “eat” them.

Jbo

The photo is a little screwy because of the Ziploc but this is a portion for a neighbor. A little on the rare side but that doesn't bother me in the least, though I would take it to 120-125 degrees next time rather than the 115-120 degrees I did for this one - it tastes very good.

That open fire rotisserie is an excellent way to cook roasts. I used mesquite this time because it was the only dry wood I had during the intermittent very slight drizzling rain yesterday and the roast smells and tastes fantastic!

IMG_1536.JPG

Last edited:
Reactions: chopsaw and jbo_c
Once again you amaze me. That roast looks nothing short of spectacular. And mushroom gravy? What's not to love about that?? :emoji_wink:

Robert
Thank you sir! It is the spit roaster and the thermometer that is amazing! 😎

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky