A South African friend got me interested in making biltong

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
IH, Looks great, I am thinking of dabbling with the biltong process and not sure what kind of drying apparatus to make for drying.

Yup---Way better than Jerky!! IMHO
Nice Job PZ!
Like.

Bear
Thank you Bear - I so agree about biltong being better - it is somehow "meatier" to my palate than regular jerky, which I still dearly love, but it takes a back seat to biltong.

Thanks for the like!

IH, Looks great, I am thinking of dabbling with the biltong process and not sure what kind of drying apparatus to make for drying.
Thanks crazymoon - my buddy from South Africa says slower (longer) drying times are better. He just uses a cardboard box, hangs the meat within and uses a fan to continuously blow ambient air over the meat. He says many people don't worry about bugs and leave the box open, but he likes to use a screen. If it is too cold, he'll add a light bulb for a bit of warmth positioning the fan so the air does not move too fast.

I'm more into automation so I purchased the dehydrator, and I set it to the minimum temperature, then checked it periodically for done-ness - the process appears to work out.

Thanks for the like!

Last edited:
Reactions: crazymoon
Thank you Bear - I so agree about biltong being better - it is somehow "meatier" to my palate than regular jerky, which I still dearly love, but it takes a back seat to biltong.

Thanks for the like!

Yup, When I was younger I had a special pocket in my Orange Hunting Coat for a Big Ziplock full of Butcher Shop-Made Pepperoni, for snacking, but no pocket for Jerky.
And it didn't seem to repel the Deer---Maybe it Lured Them????

Bear

Reactions: idahopz
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky