A Quick Buckboard Bacon With a New Idea.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I totally agree, in the latter case, where Bacon or Ham is being produced, by packing in cure. Time to allow the super concentration of Cure on the surface couple of inches to spread to the center or Equalize is needed for a uniform result.
We are getting the same result with different methods of Curing.
Thanks for bringing up this time trusted method...JJ

And thank you guys for letting me come to the conclusion that I stepped up to modern curing technique but kept old habits.

Looks great . Good idea to dry the surface .

Thanks!

The bacon looks great. Love the knife, I had a Global Chef's Knife until my oldest stole it. The dehydrator is a great idea and would be a quick fix for guys in high Humidity areas.

Stuff I've learned about Bacon...If Curing by Percentages, there is no soaking needed because outside in, your Salt level is equal and perfect to your taste. After all, YOU determined the amount that you wanted from the start. The concept of Equalization makes no sense. You have already determined the amount of time the cure needs to be distributed equally, lets say 14 days for a 2"/4cm slab of belly. You should not need to do more than rinse the surface, and even if you did soak a couple of hours...Do you really think you are going to Taste that the Outer 1mm Edge is less salty than the rest of the Slice you shoved in your mouth???...JJ 😊

Har! It is funny how kids end up with stuff!

I agree with almost everything you say. The only thing I soak is dry cure. The soaking doesn't do anything to the equalization or the saltiness of the bacon (you can't do that in an hour), it just takes and residual cure off the surface like a good rinse. I have done it with and without a soak and I will confess, the soak makes very little difference but I think it makes some. I wouldn't say anyone who didn't soak is wrong and you are likely correct a thorough rinse would do the same.

D, Good looking bacon and I like your dehydrator idea. Nice looking knife too !

Thanks! I just can't buy a cheap knife.

Nice looking bacon. Thanks for the dehydrator idea. I can understand an equalization period for meat that was brined for a short period of time in a high SAL pickle. In the case of an equilibrium type of cure, once equilibrium is reached it has equalized.

JC :emoji_cat:

Thanks, JC. I agree on the cure.

Thanks disco for sharing Disco and the bacon looks great

Thanks, Jim!

The bacon looks awesome Disco!
Nice knife too!
Al

Thanks, Al!

My missus thinks I'm crazy for the amount I paid but knives are a place I won't compromise.

There is a big difference between using a Calculator to determine the exact amount of Salt and Cure #1 or TQ you want in the meat by percent or Ppm. Weighing out in Grams, to 2 decimal places, exactly the amounts needed to reach the concentration you want. Applying all the cure, then allowing enough time for complete absorption and equalized distribution.

And...

The method of rubbing on however much of the Cure Mix, Salt, Sugar and Cure, the meat will hold.
Placing the meat on a Curing Table or in a Salt Box between handfulls or layers of Cure Mix.
Allowing the meat to sit to cure for a number of days, based on what you were taught or the Morton's Guide says should be good.
Then scraping and washing all the excess Cure Mix, not absorbed, off and resting another few days or weeks for Equalization.

I totally agree, in the latter case, where Bacon or Ham is being produced, by packing in cure. Time to allow the super concentration of Cure on the surface couple of inches to spread to the center or Equalize is needed for a uniform result.
We are getting the same result with different methods of Curing.
Thanks for bringing up this time trusted method...JJ

And thank you guys for letting me come to the conclusion that I stepped up to modern curing technique but kept old habits.

Indeed, many methods like packing and injection require longer periods and attention to equilibrium. Even brining over dry cure introduces more liquid to the meat and it takes longer to get pellicle. However, once you have equilibrium, you have equilibrium, and the long curing period obtains that.

Looks Great Disco!!
And I love the Dehydrator idea---But I don't have one & no room for one. LOL
I have never had any of My TQ Dry-Cured Bacon come out too Salty, but I always soak mine for between 20 minutes & 1 hour, because the Salt on the outside just doesn't "Rinse Off" like some people Think.
And I "Like" Your BBB.

Bear

Thanks, Bear. I don't have problems with too salty either. The one hour soak is just for surface cure. I learned it from this guy I know who taught me how to make bacon...

Never had buckboard bacon. Gonna have to change that. Yours looks amazing

It is definitely worth a try. It is a coarser bacon but it has great flavour and is cheaper than pork belly.

Reactions: Bearcarver
The joy of what we do is, with a Thousand years of meat preservation though Salting, Nitrate/Nitrite Curing and Smoking, there many ways to reach our goal. None more right or wrong, just different paths...JJ

Reactions: disco
The joy of what we do is, with a Thousand years of meat preservation though Salting, Nitrate/Nitrite Curing and Smoking, there many ways to reach our goal. None more right or wrong, just different paths...JJ
Then why do yours always turn out right? Cheers!

Then why do yours always turn out right? Cheers!

LOL...My friend, few have seen my mistakes but they are many. One of the earliest, I was making Egg Drop Soup. I had watched Dad make it a hundred times. I knew he thickened the soup with the stuff in the yellow box over the stove. I got the box, mixed 1 TBS of the white powder with water and slowly stirred it in to the soup.
I tasted the result and spit it out. I mixed In a Tablespoon of Baking Soda, Orange box, instead of Corn Starch in the Yellow box, next to it...JJ 😀

Thanks, Bear. I don't have problems with too salty either. The one hour soak is just for surface cure. I learned it from this guy I know who taught me how to make bacon...

LOL---Good thing you got help from that guy before he went Senile!!

Bear

LOL...My friend, few have seen my mistakes but they are many. One of the earliest, I was making Egg Drop Soup. I had watched Dad make it a hundred times. I knew he thickened the soup with the stuff in the yellow box over the stove. I got the box, mixed 1 TBS of the white powder with water and slowly stirred it in to the soup.
I tasted the result and spit it out. I mixed In a Tablespoon of Baking Soda, Orange box, instead of Corn Starch in the Yellow box, next to it...JJ 😀

Har! We all have those stories.

LOL---Good thing you got help from that guy before he went Senile!!

Bear

Well, I 'm still grateful!

I like the dehydrator idea! My convection oven has a dehydrator setting and I might just have to try this. I have a couple of pork butts in the fridge thawing right now for my first crack at Buckboard Bacon. Thanks for the tip!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky