a question for you pellet guys

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cal1956

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Apr 14, 2015
Colorado
my son owns a pit boss (600 i think ) and a while ago he had told me that it got rained on and now something is wrong with the contol board , i talked to him this afternoon and he still has not gotten it fixed !! so i have a couple of questions
(1) are the control boards very expensive to replace ? (2) how can he make sure thats what wrong ?

I have a pitboss Austin XL which is much larger than his. Never had an issue in over 4 years. They have a 5yr warranty and amazing customer support. If he falls in that category he should contact them. What exactly is the smoker doing wrong? They are simple machines I can help you. Parts are cheap

well he lives inTenn, and i live in Colorado otherwise i would go and help , all he said was it stopped working after it got wet in a rain storm and thats all i know about it
he has had it for 2-3 years oh and if i remember he bought it at home depot

well he lives inTenn, and i live in Colorado otherwise i would go and help , all he said was it stopped working after it got wet in a rain storm and thats all i know about it
he has had it for 2-3 years
Where in Tennessee? If it's not turning on then it's 100% controller issue. He can try plugging it into another outlet to make sure. But no power is controller or an outlet. It's under warranty so a new controller is free. If he doesn't have warranty then around $130 bucks. Controller is plug and play so very easy to change

thanks i'll tell him what you said next time i talk to him which should be some time this comming week. i know he likes using it but i think he is afraid to take it apart

Last edited:
I don't have a pit boss, but if the control unit is not turning on at all they mention a circuit board fuse that could be checked to see if its still good??

Looks like the control units are like $50. There's one on ebay right now for less than that, if it's the wide trapezoidal style i think it is.

But of course check fuse, un-plug and re-plug connectors and clean them with something if they seem dirty or corroded.

having never used a pellet smoker i had no idea what to tell him , i'll pass along what you fellas have said and hope he get sit fixed
thanks

You should have your son create an account and ask the questions. Translation is going to be interesting if not familiar
with a pellet grill.
It could be a control board, hot rod (blown fuse) or stuck auger because of the rain and wet pellets.

Reactions: sandyut and cal1956
You should have your son create an account and ask the questions. Translation is going to be interesting if not familiar
with a pellet grill.
It could be a control board, hot rod (blown fuse) or stuck auger because of the rain and wet pellets.
I don’t know if this site could handle (2) Cal1956’s… haha just kidding

• Haha
Reactions: TH-n-PA
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky