A question about water

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

magic4u

Original poster
Oct 12, 2010
Granbury, Tx
As you can see from my pic, I have a LARGE smoker. There is no water pan. I have been having trouble with the meat cooking up to temp much quicker than it should. For example a 10 lb pork butt is up to 185 in 7 hours, even with keeping the smoker temp at 225-230. Would it help if I put a large pan of water in the smoke chamber?

That smoker is not designed to use a water pan.

First thing i recomend is calibrate your thermometers.

Sounds like you are hott6er than you think.

If your temps are correct than go with it. Personally I think the heavy gauge smokers just cook faster as they hold the heat better. I've never had a butt go over 10 hours in my Lang and most are done in 8-9 hours

So with a cooker like this, I don't need to cook for 14 to 16 hours to get the flavor and taste? I just need practice controling my tempture?

Your going to get the flavor no matter if you smoke it 8 hrs or 15 hrs.

It's the tenderness and the rendering of the fat that takes time and temp.

That's a great looking smoker you have there Magic!  
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

If your thermometers are accurate I would say roll with what you have. If it gets done a little faster then some that's just fine. That's the rule of thumb with meat its done when the temp says its done.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky