• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

A question about water

magic4u

Joined Oct 12, 2010
As you can see from my pic, I have a LARGE smoker. There is no water pan. I have been having trouble with the meat cooking up to temp much quicker than it should. For example a 10 lb pork butt is up to 185 in 7 hours, even with keeping the smoker temp at 225-230. Would it help if I put a large pan of water in the smoke chamber?

eman

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 3, 2009
That smoker is not designed to use a water pan.

First thing i recomend is calibrate your thermometers.

Sounds like you are hott6er than you think.

pineywoods

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
Staff member
Administrator
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
OTBS Admin
Group Lead
Joined Mar 22, 2008
If your temps are correct than go with it. Personally I think the heavy gauge smokers just cook faster as they hold the heat better. I've never had a butt go over 10 hours in my Lang and most are done in 8-9 hours

tom37

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 24, 2009
I think Piney is on to something there.

magic4u

Joined Oct 12, 2010
So with a cooker like this, I don't need to cook for 14 to 16 hours to get the flavor and taste? I just need practice controling my tempture?

eman

Smoking Guru
Staff member
OTBS Member
Joined Feb 3, 2009
Your going to get the flavor no matter if you smoke it 8 hrs or 15 hrs.

It's the tenderness and the rendering of the fat that takes time and temp.

Bearcarver

SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Group Lead
Joined Sep 12, 2009
Like Eman said, Test your thermometers.

Also--Take a lot of notes for next time.

Bear

rbranstner

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
Joined Oct 18, 2007
If your thermometers are accurate I would say roll with what you have. If it gets done a little faster then some that's just fine. That's the rule of thumb with meat its done when the temp says its done.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.