A question about using a welding blanket to insulate my GOSM 3895GWLA

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

K9BIGDOG

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jul 7, 2017
New York
It does get kinda cold up here in NY so I went out and bought a welding blanket. I also picked up some spring clamps, carabiners and even some strong magnets to hold the blanket on the smoker. I'm just a little concerned about covering the side vents on the smoker. Will this cause a problem with the flame? I think it'll be ok, BUT I'd rather hear what you all think. My only other thoughts would be to wrap the blanket so it sits above the side vents, or cut two large holes in the blanket to accommodate the vents.

Reactions: JC in GB
I would be careful about restricting intake air to the burner. I had a similar smoker once upon a time, and it liked to set fire to my chip pan. One could envision a scenario where there was insufficient air to keep the burner lit, the chip pan had embers in it, and, as the smoker cooled, (and less dense air leaked back in through the top) a stoichiometric mix of propane and oxygen was ignited by the embers.

That could be loud.

You probably don’t need to worry too much about setting the welding blanket on fire though....

It does get kinda cold up here in NY so I went out and bought a welding blanket. I also picked up some spring clamps, carabiners and even some strong magnets to hold the blanket on the smoker. I'm just a little concerned about covering the side vents on the smoker. Will this cause a problem with the flame? I think it'll be ok, BUT I'd rather hear what you all think. My only other thoughts would be to wrap the blanket so it sits above the side vents, or cut two large holes in the blanket to accommodate the vents.
I put a welding blanket on my smoker for similar reasons also to save fuel. I left the vent side of the box uncovered for more control of air flow.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky