A nice big batch of Pheasant (and maybe some chukar) Cacciatore!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

K9BIGDOG

Meat Mopper
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jul 7, 2017
New York
Time to get some of these birds out of the freezer and into the pot. I still have about 3 months of bird hunting to do and I need the room!
These are all skinless breasts, legs and thighs. I brined them about 8 hours (it's a BIG batch) then thoroughly rinsed.
My sauce is a a simple mix of crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, fresh red and green bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, capers and red wine.
I rendered out a bunch of chopped homemade bacon and then l lightly sautéed the parts. After adding them to the slow cookers (4 slow cookers going!) I deglazed the pan with more red wine then added that to the sauce. I also added a little chicken broth because I thought the sauce was a little thick. Put the cookers on high until they got hot and then reduced to low for the duration. We're having a big game dinner tonight at my uncle's house and this will be the highlight of the night served over pasta. My little bird dog has done me proud again!! :emoji_grinning:😎

IMG-3251.jpg

9778288C-0DBC-4EB5-B2D7-824C727FC095.jpg

Looks like you're gonna have heck of a feast! Nice work and a great looking partner you have!

Ryan

Reactions: Gonna Smoke
Time to get some of these birds out of the freezer and into the pot. I still have about 3 months of bird hunting to do and I need the room!
These are all skinless breasts, legs and thighs. I brined them about 8 hours (it's a BIG batch) then thoroughly rinsed.
My sauce is a a simple mix of crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, fresh red and green bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, capers and red wine.
I rendered out a bunch of chopped homemade bacon and then l lightly sautéed the parts. After adding them to the slow cookers (4 slow cookers going!) I deglazed the pan with more red wine then added that to the sauce. I also added a little chicken broth because I thought the sauce was a little thick. Put the cookers on high until they got hot and then reduced to low for the duration. We're having a big game dinner tonight at my uncle's house and this will be the highlight of the night served over pasta. My little bird dog has done me proud again!! :emoji_grinning:😎

View attachment 525427
View attachment 525428
I love it man! I do very little fowl hunting. Maybe 1 day of dove hunting on opening day if I"m lucky. I love it all though and thanks for posting the food and letting me enjoy the hunt through your pics :D

Last edited:
That looks like a lot of fun for an great diner! It looks so good! Great job with the hunt and the cook!

Your pot looks like a masterpiece. I can see where it would be the star attraction.

Looks like your as good with dogs as you are with stew pots.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky