A New Build: 24x30 Vertical Offset - A Custom Build For JLeonard!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Coming together for sure! That's going to be one fine smoker.

Thank you sir! I sure hope so!

Lookin' darn good Red!
Unsure if this is necessary since I am not there, but I would suggest cutting off/rounding the corner of the drip guard on the door to avoid the sharp corner catching a leg.

Thanks for the kind words Bruce!

Great minds think alike - not sure it shows in the pics I posted, but I’ve already taken a grinder and rounded off the sharp corners of that drip guard…cuz I was thinking the same thing!

Red

Reactions: 02ebz06
All I need is a trip to the ER on my first cook!

I’ll try to do what I can to make sure that doesn’t happen Buddy!

Joel, I am over whelmed with the thought and work you are putting into this thing! And good lord, I think it’s getting bigger with every pic you post!

Jim

Those words mean a lot Jim! I've reached to point in the build now where I just hope it functions like it was designed to function - won't know for sure til I build a fire in it and do a test burn...keeping my fingers crossed! My biggest hope is that you're as happy with it as I am!

Red

Reactions: JLeonard
You have thought about a lot of little details most would overlook.
Excellent Fab skills . . . hope it performs like you anticipate :emoji_fingers_crossed:

Reactions: seenred
You have thought about a lot of little details most would overlook.
Excellent Fab skills . . . hope it performs like you anticipate :emoji_fingers_crossed:

I appreciate that brother. I hope so too!

Joel I haven't any worries…im Sure it will do better than I can ever dream of.

Jim

Thanks buddy! That’s certainly the hope.

I don’t really have strong doubts…its more like one of those deals where, as much time and thought as I’ve put into it, I’ll be kinda holding my breath until I see the blue smoke rolling out that stack :emoji_fingers_crossed:

Red

I appreciate that brother. I hope so too!

Thanks buddy! That’s certainly the hope.

I don’t really have strong doubts…its more like one of those deals where, as much time and thought as I’ve put into it, I’ll be kinda holding my breath until I see the blue smoke rolling out that stack :emoji_fingers_crossed:

Red
Following along. Really nice build Red. I’m just thinking that it’s such a beast that you may need to ship it to me first, I’ll take her through the paces before I then ship it to Jim. It’s just a quality control thing, you understand, lol

Very nice work Jole. Very good.

Following along. Really nice build Red. I’m just thinking that it’s such a beast that you may need to ship it to me first, I’ll take her through the paces before I then ship it to Jim. It’s just a quality control thing, you understand, lol

Very nice work Jole. Very good.

🤣🤣. Understood…and thanks for stepping up with the offer lol!!

I seriously appreciate the kind words buddy - thanks for following along!

Red

Don't you mean contract someone out to screw on an end cap or ball valve. Remember this is Jim we're talking about here.

It's coming along beautifully Red. Keep us up to date.

Chris
HEY! HEY! HEY!....I resemble that remark! I know where my skills lay and the limits of them. And its righty - tighty, lefty - loosey......Right? :emoji_laughing:

Jim

Don't you mean contract someone out to screw on an end cap or ball valve. Remember this is Jim we're talking about here.

It's coming along beautifully Red. Keep us up to date.

Chris

LMAO!! Man...that's kinda harsh Chris! :emoji_laughing:

Jim's mechanical aptitude aside...I really appreciate the comments, and I'll be updating again soon!

HEY! HEY! HEY!....I resemble that remark! I know where my skills lay and the limits of them. And its righty - tighty, lefty - loosey......Right? :emoji_laughing:

Jim

Yeah...OK - but I don't know how to start an IV :emoji_wink:

Yeah, but there's still the problem of cross threading.

Chris

LOL!! :emoji_laughing::emoji_sweat_smile:

Red

• Haha
On a more serious note..
Don't know if you have the height to do this, but this is how I installed the ball valve on my LSG.
It's 1-1/4" pipe and I drilled and tapped a hole in the side to hang a bucket.
Lowes has the PitBoss Buckets & Liners.

LSG Drain 2024-04-16.jpg

On a more serious note..
Don't know if you have the height to do this, but this is how I installed the ball valve on my LSG.

View attachment 694592
I like that! Might be an idea. Just gonna run with a cap for now.

Jim

Reactions: seenred and 02ebz06
On a more serious note..

View attachment 694592

I like that! Might be an idea. Just gonna run with a cap for now.

Jim

Hey Bruce...I like it, but I suspect there won't be enough clearance under there for another fitting below a ball valve. Jim could certainly put a ball valve on the threaded drain, and still have room for a grease pan or bucket...but any extra fitting probably wouldn't allow enough room.

Red

So yesterday I got the caster feet and lower legs of the cart painted so I could reattach the casters permanently. Today's plan was to bolt the casters back on - if the paint was dry. Then, if I liked the height of the pull handle, get it all welded out. Then start fabrication on the 10" x about 36" work table for the front of the cabinet...

Well....

I got 2 weld beads into finishing the pull handle when the welder's main control board blew! If you've been following along with this thread, you'll remember that the same %#@* thing happened back in February.

Bad new is, I'm down again! Good news is, it's still under warranty, and Lincoln Electric is gonna make it right. After spending some time on the phone with a Lincoln warranty customer service rep, and then hauling the machine over to Tulsa so one of their service center technicians could look at it...the upshot is, they are shipping me a new welder. It won't be here until probably late next week, which means more down time...but I'm relieved that Lincoln is standing behind their product and making it right for me.

So, anyway - here's all I got done before the welder crapped out.

The feet/lower legs are painted, so now the casters can be bolted back on permanently.

img128.jpg

I like the height I have the pull handle at, so I can go ahead and weld it out.

img127.jpg

Managed to run these 2 weld beads before the machine quit.

img129.jpg

So it looks like the next update won't happen too soon. Frustrating to deal with setbacks, but that's life!

Red

Reactions: JLeonard and JLinza
So yesterday I got the caster feet and lower legs of the cart painted so I could reattach the casters permanently. Today's plan was to bolt the casters back on - if the paint was dry. Then, if I liked the height of the pull handle, get it all welded out. Then start fabrication on the 10" x about 36" work table for the front of the cabinet...

Well....

I got 2 weld beads into finishing the pull handle when the welder's main control board blew! If you've been following along with this thread, you'll remember that the same %#@* thing happened back in February.

Bad new is, I'm down again! Good news is, it's still under warranty, and Lincoln Electric is gonna make it right. After spending some time on the phone with a Lincoln warranty customer service rep, and then hauling the machine over to Tulsa so one of their service center technicians could look at it...the upshot is, they are shipping me a new welder. It won't be here until probably late next week, which means more down time...but I'm relieved that Lincoln is standing behind their product and making it right for me.

So, anyway - here's all I got done before the welder crapped out.

The feet/lower legs are painted, so now the casters can be bolted back on permanently.

View attachment 694616

I like the height I have the pull handle at, so I can go ahead and weld it out.

View attachment 694617

Managed to run these 2 weld beads before the machine quit.

View attachment 694618

So it looks like the next update won't happen too soon. Frustrating to deal with setbacks, but that's life!

Red
Thanks for the update! Sucks about the welder though... even if it is Jim's fault... I told him he should have bought you a new welder lol!
Glad they are gonna stand behind it though.

Ryan

Hey Bruce...I like it, but I suspect there won't be enough clearance under there for another fitting below a ball valve. Jim could certainly put a ball valve on the threaded drain, and still have room for a grease pan or bucket...but any extra fitting probably wouldn't allow enough room.

Red

I thought that might be the case.
You need some clearance as well from the handle when it is open, to top of bucket.

EDIT: I went and measured.
I have about 18" clearance from bottom of pit to shelf.
3" nipple screwed into bottom of pit, 3-1/4" valve screwed on to nipple, and 6" nipple screwed into bottom of valve.
The screw I put in the side of the 6" nipple is up 3-1/2" from bottom of nipple.
The bucket is about 9-1/2" from bottom to handle when raised.
And I have 2" clearance from shelf to bottom of bucket.
So with the screw on the side where I have it, that means the bucket, 2 nipples and valve take up about 16"

Last edited:
Yeah, time to step back, take a breath, and wait on a truck to arrive. Glad the welder folks are doing you right and replacing it.
And it looks like that handle Will fit perfect in Bryce’s hand when I need to move it!
Jim

Thanks for the update! Sucks about the welder though... even if it is Jim's fault... I told him he should have bought you a new welder lol!
Glad they are gonna stand behind it though.

Ryan

Ryan, I hadn’t thought of that - this is clearly Jim’s fault! :emoji_laughing: :emoji_wink:

Seriously it is a relief to know they’re making it right.

Red

• Wow
Build coming together very well thought out.

Red
Add a 90° elbow and run it out the side.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky