A-MAZE-N Pellet Tube Newbie

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

illini40

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Feb 12, 2017
Hello

I would like to try out my A-MAZE-N pellet tube for the first time today. It is the 6" model, and I have a Traeger Pro34.

Few newbie questions:

1) Once you light it, do you blow the flame out? I feel like I read somewhere to blow the flame out but cannot verify that. I have the starter gel that I will be using.

2) If you are done with the cook but the tube is still going, what do you do with it?

3) Can you just partially fill the tube? Or do you have to pack it full? I have the 6" model and only want a hour or so of smoke on some whole chickens today.

I have the A-maze-n smoker shaped like a N. I light one end of mine with a pipe sweating torch for a few mins. Let it burn for like 5-10 mins with a flame. Blow the flame out and place inside the smoker. Should be the snake for the 6” tube as well.

If you’re done with the cook and it’s still smoking I just let it burn out. Or take out and soak with water and empty it. You can partially fill just make sure the pellets are touching so they can light each other.

I have the A-maze-n smoker shaped like a N. I light one end of mine with a pipe sweating torch for a few mins. Let it burn for like 5-10 mins with a flame. Blow the flame out and place inside the smoker. Should be the snake for the 6” tube as well.

So once you blow the flame out, the pellets just smolder?

I don't use the tube, I use the AMNPS which is the tray. That said, the rest is pretty similar...

1) I light mine, let it burn long enough to see that the first pellets are glowing well. If there is still flaming, I blow out any active flames. At that point, as long as your pellets are dry it should continue to smolder along.

2) If I'm done, and the AMP is smoking, I just let it burn out. The pellets I use are cheap enough there is no reason to "save" them.
If you wanted to save what is left, you could dump them on a flat pan and separate out the burning from the unused ones. Let them die out, and save the unused ones.

3) Yes, you can do a partial tube. Just fill it part way, then hold it horizontally and with on palm over the open end gently shake back and forth to level out the pellets. Then proceed from there.
You'll figure it out.

Can't add much more than what's already been said other than the tubes are very versatile in ways and places to use them.

Thanks for the help everyone! I hope to give it a try today on some chickens.

I would just fill it up . Your not going to waste that many pellets on a 6 " tube . It will burn better if you fill it . If you do a partial fill , and don't get enough pellets in it , they tend to burn to fast , and flame up if you shake them out across the bottom .

If you still want to do a short load , stand it on end and fill at least half way . Get it burning , then lay it over .

I've got the 12" round original Amnts. I took the open end cap off for easier lighting through the perf stainless steel with a torch as well from below and just use the solid end cap at the other end. I've never filled it full since it's a lot of smoke. I fill half way and shake sideways as well. I have a round shot glass that fits perfectly in the tube like a piston so the pellets are against the bottom and the open end of the shot glass faces the bottom cap of the tube smoker. I slide in a wooden skewer through the holes at the level I want and add pellets half way as it stands on end then shake sideways for shorter smokes like cold smoking burgers for an hour or two before finishing etc. I dump the pellets in an aluminum pan and separate the pellets from the lit pellets.

I found the tube smoker (12-inch) to create too much smoke in my MES40. I switched to the AMPS (tray) and it works fine.

The 6" tubes will burn for 2 hrs. The 12" for 4hrs,and the trays up to 12hrs depending on size

Alot of opinions and alot of experience , none are wrong . For me , I've had the original 12 " tube burn for more than 14 hours in a mail box mod . Take time to learn what it does in your grill / smoker .

The only thing I can add is... (but I'm a lil late) ... Let it burn for a few minutes and then start blowing on it ( I use my air compressor real lightly).. you want to create a nice red hot cherry (like a cigarette/cigar)....

Thanks for all of the insight.

I think my first run with my tube today worked pretty decent. I filled it about 3/4 full, and it burned for right around two hours.

I did have a little trouble getting it to stay lit the first time I took it from standing to laying down in my Traeger. I pulled it back out, added some more starter gel, and let it stand vertical for another 5 minutes or so and it seemed to then take off when I put it back in the smoker.

I can see why filling it all the way likely helps it keep going once you lay it flat.

I'll definitely be experimenting again. I think it helped with the chicken I did today at the higher temps.

I bought the square Tizze tube for cheap on Amazon and used it last night on some salmon. I put the tube on the smoker's drip tray so it had the opening up at about a 40 degree angle. I left the pellet smoker off for the first half hour. I was shocked at how much smoke these things create. It was a chilli night so it only raised the temp of the smoker by three or four degrees in a half hour. I can't wait to smoke a pork shoulder or brisket using it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky