A Little Slice of Italy...........Because It's In My Blood!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Man that is making me hangry! Wouldnt mind sitting down to a plate of that with ya. I'll bring the beer! Jim

Thanks Jim! Come on over, but forget the beer, this dinner always set up best with a glass of cab or zinfandel. Thanks for the Like Jim, I do appreciate it. RAY

Great cook Ray and my type of meal . No Italian in these veins , but I was married to one for 25 years . Her Aunt could throw down some grub . I think the family roots came from Sicily . One of the best things she put on the table was fried cardoons (?) cardoni ? Not sure what it's called , but I loved those . I think Bob needs you to hand him the remote .

Thanks Rich! My noni was Sicilian, nono from high up the boot. She grew up picking olives for a penny a day, the food she could make from so little was amazing, fun trying to replicate. Thanks for the Like Rich, I do appreciate it. RAY

Reactions: JLeonard
tried a dozens of times to make it myself, always came out like lead sinkers

Lead sinkers are caused by too much Flour. Whether Potato or Ricotta, adding flour just until a soft dough forms is the key. Using Baked instead of Boiled potato and putting the ricotta in a sieve to drain the whey for 24 hours helps a lot. Also refrigerating the dough to hydrate also helps...JJ

Great looking meal Ray.

Thanks WR, you really can go home again once you figure the recipes and get some experience under your belt. Thanks for the Like, I do appreciate it! RAY

YEAP! Great looking meal! We love Italian food here!

Thanks Yankee! Back in the days we'd go out to dine Italian was always at the top of the list, those days are gone, can't eat wearing a mask! Thanks for the Like, I do appreciate it! RAY

Looks Mighty Tasty from here, Ray!! Nice Job! Like. Bear

Thank you John! I know a lot of folks from your neck of the woods have never seen a artichoke, they are delicious. Chokes and maters are Italy's gift to America! Thanks for the Like Bear, I do appreciate it. RAY

I'm mostly Scandinavian, but I could sure put a dent in a plate of that chow Ray!!! Point for sure Chris

Thanks Chris! This was a nice change of pace, there's even leftovers for dinner tonight! Thank you for the Like Chris, I do appreciate it. RAY

Looks good from here Ray

Thanks Jim, and thank you for the Like, I do appreciate it! RAY

Wow, nice scald on those sausages, Ray. It all looks great!

Thanks Colin! I most often just toss the sausages I make over hot coals on the Weber, three and a half minutes a side, perfect every time. Thank you for the Like, much appreciated! RAY

Looks might fine! No Italian in me but the Mrs. grew up Pittsburgh Italian and learned to cook from her Italian grandmother.She makes sauce and meatballs from scratch and the whole house smelled wonderful when I would get home from work. She likes my Italian sausages so I must be doing something right. I'll pass on the Artichoke but make it up with the Gnocchi if there's enough :-)

Thanks Mose! I find a lot of folks from back east don't favor chokes. I once dated a girl who said they were too tough to eat, she was surprised when I told her they needed to be cooked! Thanks for the Like Mose, I do appreciate it. RAY

That right there is one heck of a meal…. Nice job Ray!

Thanks WHB! Back to steak and taters this week, thanks for the Like, much appreciated! RAY

Dang Ray, that looks fantastic! Excellent execution and presentation.

Thanks Edge! Taking pics of my cooks drive my wife crazy, but she's adjusting! Thanks for the Like, I do appreciate it. RAY

Awesome meal right there was there an extra chair would surly been glad to enjoy that spread. Warren

I'd love hosting you Warren, I'd bet you'd get over that aversion to artichokes in no time! Thanks for the Like Warren, I do appreciate it. RAY

Lead sinkers are caused by too much Flour. Whether Potato or Ricotta, adding flour just until a soft dough forms is the key. Using Baked instead of Boiled potato and putting the ricotta in a sieve to drain the whey for 24 hours helps a lot. Also refrigerating the dough to hydrate also helps...JJ

After 40 years trying I quit Chef! I make my own semolina pasta and ravioli, I'll just have to go the market when it's time for a gnocchi fix, gettin' lazy in my old age. RAY

Ray, that meal is a work of art. Nicely done, amigo. Huge LIKE! Stu

Thank you Stu! The AZ contingent gets closer to our own little gathering day by day, it'll happen! Stay safe my friend, and thanks for the Like, I do appreciate it! RAY

Thanks for the like Ray it is appreciated. Nope no artichokes. Warren

That's OK Warren. The other day I had to Google grits and where they came from, not for me. Reckon a lot depends where you grew up and what there was to eat. RAY

ac3b0eef-c515-4425-893f-4607941f7d2a-gif.gif

Wow Ray that all looks amazing man! You killed the Italian cuisine for sure. Looks like you might have done that a few times in your day!

Great looking plate Ray, and looks like you and Bob had a great you day David

Thanks David, every day is a great day for Bob! RAY

Wow Ray that all looks amazing man! You killed the Italian cuisine for sure. Looks like you might have done that a few times in your day!

Thanks John! I paid attention when mama was at the stove, my two sisters didn't, mama didn't teach them jack. It took some time and experimentation, for quite awhile now I've been able to recreate the flavors I grew up with, I love it. Thanks for the Like amigo, much appreciated! RAY

Nice lookin meal! And beverage!

Thanks Dave! It's always good to take the edge off before getting started a cook, indoors or out, who the hell needs pressure. Thanks fot the Like, I do appreciate it. RAY

Reactions: DRKsmoking
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky