A little help with rain....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jimpam

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 14, 2010
Benbrook, TX
ok I am in Texas and as you may be aware we have busted our drought in a big way. That's great but it sucks if you finally have a free weekend to light up the smoker. I've smoked before in light on again / off again rain - but wondering if anyone has any tips. Yes I'm a tad desperate lol.

My smoker is not under any cover or anything - and I don't want to move it under my porch as I'm concerned about laying a nice smoke ring on the ceiling.

Just curios - all replies welcome even the humorous ones ( I need to laugh)

ok I am in Texas and as you may be aware we have busted our drought in a big way. That's great but it sucks if you finally have a free weekend to light up the smoker. I've smoked before in light on again / off again rain - but wondering if anyone has any tips. Yes I'm a tad desperate lol.

My smoker is not under any cover or anything - and I don't want to move it under my porch as I'm concerned about laying a nice smoke ring on the ceiling.

Just curios - all replies welcome even the humorous ones ( I need to laugh)
Go to ur local hardware store and purchase yourself a canopy that would normally be used for camping.

Like others have said, get a canopy. I'm getting much more serious about my smoking now that I'm retired and have given a lot of thought to the rain thing. I have looked at the canopies and would like to get the smallest one that will do the job, but then, what about the blowing rain? That might separate the men from the boys. I have even thought about a canopy with the screen sides. I'm going to be following this to get some good ideas, I hope. Joe

Unless you have those Tornado alerts you get so often there in my Home Land, get a canoh py tent and se it, I've done many a smoke in Rain , Wind , and Snow

and used one of the canopies . You need to anchor them , but they work O.K. Now  have gotten older , I built a Q-Bana to smoke in...

the best thing this old guy ever had. Agitated SHMBO , but got her done...

Plastic tarp on sides for Winter and Rain . Comfy .

Sorry about the Rain , hang in there.  .  .

Have fun and  .  .  . 

THanks so much guys - canopy it is! I have 4 Home Depot buckets with cement to anchor it - hopefully the high winds / tornados / hail spare me!

We r building a new house and I have an extra little pad being poured with a cabana roof just for my smoker. Can't wait.

I got a good laugh on the living room comment too! Wife said no though [emoji]128531[/emoji]

Thanks again - I'll post the end product - brisket and a butt and some chicken.

Have you filled the Homer buckets with concrete yet?

Place a 8" eye bolt with the largest washers that will fit between 2 nuts and wiggle them into the wet concrete. 

I tie down my canopy at events with this setup, sometimes in winds up to 30-40 mph. Just make sure you use a good rubber bungie and latch from the eye bolt and into the upper framework of the canopy. 

You can have a little fun, tell your wife you have carpenters scheduled for next to build you a smoke house.  I'm right out of Tyler we have had rain every day

Gary

Here's my setup, I built a smokehouse and it's just under the lip of the porch so I can load and unload it when it's raining and still stay dry, roof is slanted outward and is shingled so the rain just bounces off. I feel your pain, I'm in Fort Worth, sw just off Crowley and Sycamore School, less than a mile from the new WinCo. It's going to be a rough weekend coming up, too! I just did cured turkeys and cured pork shoulders for a Stroke Folks party at the Harris Rehab on Alabama:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/196073/the-picnic-2015#post_1376488

Qview is a little dark but had to stand inside to get the roof edge!

Last edited:
That is exactly how I did my buckets - a friend of mine showed me and they have worked great before!

Here's my setup, I built a smokehouse and it's just under the lip of the porch so I can load and unload it when it's raining and still stay dry, roof is slanted outward and is shingled so the rain just bounces off. I feel your pain, I'm in Fort Worth, sw just off Crowley and Sycamore School, less than a mile from the new WinCo. It's going to be a rough weekend coming up, too! I just did cured turkeys and cured pork shoulders for a Stroke Folks party at the Harris Rehab on Alabama:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/196073/the-picnic-2015#post_1376488

Qview is a little dark but had to stand inside to get the roof edge!
Pops - that is a really cool setup.   I am in Benbrook and will probably float away before June hits lol.   That was some good looking smoke on the Stroke Folk link!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky