A little bit of everything and a lot of wood!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jbellard

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Dec 6, 2016
North Louisiana
1FCF4F86-D8C4-43A7-AE98-585D80FD3448.jpeg
47FE1718-68AA-4E88-BA15-D1188D7DCF90.jpeg
3B373934-27DD-4243-8397-2EE5057B2831.jpeg
A335869E-5246-402E-A6C3-D4A5E3A2C00C.jpeg
75C07543-0BCF-48BD-B463-9DCBF4823401.jpeg
I was running a bit low on the wood like and have had back problems since I was 17 (been worse lately) so instead of foraging for my wood like I have in the past, I decided to go ahead and give craigslist a try.
Saw an end of season sale for red oak.
Long story short, I got a whole cord of red oak, split and cut into 18 inch sticks for $150 delivered. Ive heard that’s a good deal and I’m happy at the amount. Wood looks pretty good too
I decided to kill a few birds with one stone so invited some of my youth ministry high school guys over to stack the wood for me whilst I smoked them ribs.
I have 6 takers for the deal and this morning decided to also try the no knead bread that someone posted a week ago.
So I have 3 racks of spare ribs and 1 rack of beef ribs going as well as made a lot of the bread.
Bread is so good that I am currently making another cause I know the guys will destroy the bread.
Wood Pile is huge and folks that delivered the Wood were super friendly.
Enjoy the pics.

The wood looks good to me J but your bread and ribs look even better. The bread looks fantastic in your first picture.

6 young-uns probably made short work of the stacking project. Probably devoured the chow pretty quick, too.

$150 sounds decent to me but it's been a long time since I priced wood. (Hurricanes have gotten so frequent and regular, around here, that free wood is easy to find).

36B41B31-D1F6-44B0-B232-86CFEF7BB6CE.jpeg
FEE04262-4902-4860-A702-13EC5EDFFE4D.jpeg
Thanks Jack!

That bread is so good that before we finished the first one I had to make a second loaf!! The guys loved it and so does my 5yo son.
The wood is pretty good. 5 or so pieces with some rot. Burned those. Probably not a whole true cord either but I feel like it was a good deal so I’m happy with it.
I now have more wood than I can use for awhile unless I start selling bbq on the weekends. Haha.

Here is a pic of the finished product.
I didn’t get any of the beef ribs. Boy those things are rich but amazing! Guys were fighting ove who got those.
Did 3 racks of spare ribs and 1 rack of beef “spare ribs”. Cook time was about 5 hrs and 20 min. I’m finding spares on my
Smoker get done between 5-5.5 hrs.
Here’s pic of bead I saved for my wife and daughter who were all day in Dallas on a field trip.

Last edited:
8BEADD1A-E628-4881-ADAA-B9CB56430E3D.jpeg
Here is the finished product of the wood like that the guys stacked.
Been rainy and cold so I covered it with tarps but bottom is open.

Reactions: SmokinVOLfan
Close. Don’t think I got a full cord but feel good about the deal anyhow.
I have enough wood to last awhile.
Thanks for looking. So much fun to cook for folks.

Logs,
Appreciate it! I think the “smoke ring” is almost touching in the middle.
The spare ribs were so good. Melt in your mouth delicious.

View attachment 389284 Here is the finished product of the wood like that the guys stacked.
Been rainy and cold so I covered it with tarps but bottom is open.
Food looks great and is a great trade. stacking wood sucks.
is this picture a full cords? or is the pile in the front of the house also in addition to the second picture?

Pile in front was added to old wood I had.
Probably not quite a true 4x4x8 cord but was a lot of wood regardless. I am happy for the price and the wood is split which I’ve only been using while logs so I should be able to get even better control of my temps with these splits.

Reactions: flatbroke
nice rack system, I have been using pallets but its time to change them out. what is the height and legth of the rack?

looks pretty nice. It looked like a single row stacked. a cord sells for 400-500 here. I estimating .65 cord of new wood is there assuming it is single row at 18 inches, 7 feet tall and 8 feet long. looks like good wood and you are happy so win win

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky