a "homer simpson" question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

torp3t3d0

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Nov 13, 2014
Oakton, Virginia

Made this bacon a few weeks ago.......I did not think that it mattered which way I sliced it.....the wife asked me this AM did I slice this batch with the "grain" as it is a little "stringy" when you eat it.....

My question,"is there a "grain" in bacon that you should slice across in order to make it more "tender"...

here are other pictures of the batch she is talking about

I getting ready to make another batch and need your advice.......(BTW...make it out of COSTCO bellies at $2.29@lb)

Last edited:
I'm really anal about slicing bacon.

All of the bellies that I have done have the grain running in different directions.

So I will slice it one way, and when the grain changes I will slice it the other way.

Here is a photo of what I'm talking about.

You can see the grain on the left is pretty much running left to right.

And the grain on the right is running top to bottom.

So I would slice the left side first & when the grain changed I would rotate the bacon 90 degrees & slice the rest of it.

Sometimes I get small slices but they are always tender & crispy when cooked.

Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky