A great life experience today

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hhookk

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jul 4, 2007
Saugus, Massachusetts
Today a group of people from my work volunteered to prepare and serve a meal at The Hope Lodge in Boston. I copied the following paragraph from their website to explain what Hope Lodge is.

Facing cancer is hard. Having to travel out of town for treatment can make it even harder. Yet the American Cancer Society has a place where cancer patients and their families can find help and hope when home is far away - an American Cancer Society Hope Lodge.

Each Hope Lodge offers cancer patients and their families a free, temporary place to stay when their best hope for effective treatment may be in another city. Not having to worry about where to stay or how to pay for lodging allows Hope Lodge guests to focus on the most important thing: getting well.

And a Hope Lodge offers so much more than just free lodging. It provides a nurturing, home-like environment where patients and caregivers can retreat to private rooms or connect with others who are going through many of the same experiences.

I volunteered to cook ribs. I made 12 racks of back ribs. A new record for me. It turned out to be wayyyyy too much as not as many people were there as we were told. But those who were raved over them, which made me feel pretty good.

3b0e5185_004.jpg

The ingredients. Missing from the picture is the sliced pineapple garnish.

a4045a08_005.jpg

Poor "Old Red" was full to the gills. I had to move them around a couple times to make sure they cooked evenly.

c97e419d_006.jpg

After 2.5 hours in the cherry/apple smoke. There were too many to foil individually so I cheated and put them in foil pans in the oven with a splash of pineapple and coke at 230degrees for 2 hours.

9774f657_007.jpg

The finished product with grilled and brown sugar coated pineapple. The ribs were sauced and carmelized on a nice hot grill for a couple mins. They were devoured and the residents heaped some pretty high praise on me, which I must admit felt great.

Talking to some of the residents made me realize that what I thought were major problems in my life are nothing compared with what these people were going through. It was truly a life changing experience and I highly recommend checking if theres a Hope Lodge near you and volunteering.

http://www5.cancer.org/docroot/subsite/hopelodge/index.asp

I was affected in ways I never thought about, and can't wait to go back and do it again. The genuine appreciation they had for us taking time out of our lives to help them out in some small way was overwhelming. One gentleman in particular, David, really had a great attitude and outlook on life for someone in his situation. He was inspirational without even realizing it.

Thanks for reading if you made it this far. Just had to share this great experience while it was still fresh in my mind.

I have to give you (Thumbs Up) for that
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
. Thanks for making some folks feel better with some smoked goodness. Maybe you can make them some doggy bags!

It looks awesome and a great cause
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Looks awesome and that was a great thing to do.

points.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
great job and the ribs look great.. i see u have some hot bone sucking sauce man i love that stuff.. mmmmmmmmm
This says it all except thank you for taking the time to care for others - I too gave you a thumbs up -

PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif
  Thank you for sharing your time with others.

I had no idea how far those little things could go until I experienced it.

My wife is the sole survivor from her family and my mother recently lost her battle with cancer.

Gob Bless!

icon_cool.gif

Now that's one full smoker. Thanks for doing such a great job on a great serves too.
points.gif
Has to go out to the chef.

Great Job hhookk !

That had to be a rewarding experience!

Another thumbs up to your rating Sir!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Thanks,

Bear

that was a nice thing you did.  I lost my dad to cancer and it is hard way to go.  So any way to help is good. Ribs looked great

This says it all except thank you for taking the time to care for others - I too gave you a thumbs up -
 it was a great thing hhookk did for the hope lodge i am sorry for not posting that in my original posted. I lost my dad 4 years ago 9/7/06 at the young age of 52 cancer . the things people do for each other is a great thing my family and i donate  are time to hospice as a thank you for all the people that help my family when we were in need.. so again thank you

What you did and are planning for the future is totally freakin awesome man. I have lost a couple family members to this and its not pleasant at all. Even if it was only a few moments of a day, you have given them something to sit back and enjoy. I am sure it means more to them then ever possible to show.

Great Job!! 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky