A good day to smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pirk56

Original poster
Mar 8, 2017
Tomorrow is National Back to Church Day and our church always puts on a big event to celebrate. I was tasked with smoking two briskets. I did things a little different that I usually do. 1st the church provided the briskets, so I wasn't able to spend time touching and bending and trying to find the perfect ones, but I'm sure the two I got will be great. 2.) These are 18lb briskets, I usually do 11-12lbs to cut down on cook time, plus I'm cheap. With that said I didn't have enough fridge space for over 30lbs of meat in foil trays so I waited until this morning to rub and inject. 3.) I usually wake up late from staying up the night before prepping the feast that I rush the fire, make it work and have to work it all day. This morning must have meant to be a good cooking day, I had my fire going by 6:15 and established a good bed of coals before adding my thicker wood. 4.) Like I said, I'm always late getting up, I never really allow the meat to get up to room temp. I had the meat out and sitting since 6, sat for 1.5 hours, better than nothing

Since I'm doing two briskets, I did two different techniques, trim and no trim to see if there is actually a difference. Will see if there is a noticeable difference.

I bought a ThermPro thermometer with the stainless steel cord from Amazon. I was around $10. I've never used one before, usually go off time and use a digital instant meter. We will see how she does

Now it's time for honeydews. I'll check in as the days go by. I addded a few pics of my rig.

Need pics of the end result!  Great start for sure.

I have to ask though...Is there ever a bad day to smoke?  
smilie_flagge13.gif

Success as always, but can a brisket be too tender? It really wouldn't slice, it pulled like pork butt. Wasn't a drop left after the church lunch.

Reactions: uncle eddie
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky