A field of Sweets

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

912smoker

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Nov 29, 2020
Statesboro Ga
I'm very fortunate to live in the Vidalia Sweet Onion producing region
where is an annual site and smell.
Several small towns around here an Onion Festival.
You are allowed to stop and grab a sack full that, for various reasons....too big or small.....doesn't well and are left laying in the fields.
20240507_152644.jpg
20240507_152535.jpg

And I always have an empty DG bag with me😁

Keith

Lifted onions are a beautiful thing, and easy pickings. Lol
Lots of good onions around me as well. Some even still sack by hand, although most don’t.

Reactions: 912smoker
Wow, that is what is leftover after they harvest? French Onion Soup...Cheese steaks...Onion Burgers, I get those used up in no time.
No these will probably all be in containers tomorrow afternoon and headed to the packer for sorting.
I'll try to get a pick of the scrubs tomorrow.

Keith

Lifted onions are a beautiful thing, and easy pickings. Lol
Lots of good onions around me as well. Some even still sack by hand, although most don’t.
Most hand pick into plastic tubs but a few growers load the sacks in the fields.
I've been passing 7 old school busses for a week in the early AM heading the workers to pick.

Keith

Last edited:
Reactions: SmokinEdge
Nice!!! I've ordered them online. Your price is much than what I paid.
We buy alot too to support the poor old dirt farmers lol. MIL, RIP was the bookkeeper for one for years so we always had free supply.

Keith

Reactions: 02ebz06
Hell yeah! Good to be close to the source. I can't wait for the peaches to come in this year. I was talking to one of the guys who runs an orchard nearby just today. He said they are expecting a real good crop this year.

I love a vidalia onion.....If they were that easy to get (getting the ones left in the field) I'd be eating them with every meal!

Jim

I remember my first trip to Pt. Mugu. I got shacked up in a motel somewhere in Camarillo, and oh boy all I could smell at night were the onions.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky